my steam engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my steam engine

so ill let the cat outta the bag. im 100% duty cycling water steam into my engine. with no observable issues so far. the pictures should describe it all, this was of my prototype model. i know that humidifiers in engines have been around for decades but here is my testing on my little bugger. today i drove about 25 miles to my cousins house to show him this, and i used around 14oz of water. lets do a little mental math, assuming my car got 35mpg thats about 20oz of water per gallon of gas. i expect that higher percent ratios will have increased steam clean effects on the engine internals, and hopefully can harvest some lost exhaust heat into some sort of "power stroke" from the steam extra expansion. my goals are to mass market this simple addon to the people of the world at a reasonable price, im thinking around $50 usd. it took me about 20 minutes to install mine and water refilling is easy. working on a remote mount resoviour tank in my trunk to keep my steamer jar topped off. let me know what you guys think, if you are interested. pros, cons. improvements. i have 2 made up right now that are for sale.

image (5).jpgphoto (1).jpgimage (3).jpgimage (4).jpg

Comment

More info ! And don't see pics
      New build on the way .

Comment

the long pipes off the top and the coil below the lid have engine coolant running through them. the long single pipe is the "fresh air/refill" line. and the short nubby one is the steam line. the aluminum connectors work pefect for 1/4 inch water linefreebies.jpg similiar to this. they act as a push fit connector and the engine vacuum holds them snug

Comment

Okay there are the pics ! Nice idea ! I have been running kinda the same thing ! I use a plastic container with two large nickel bolts and a hose ! Run a fused 12 volts to one and ground to the other ! Then run vac hose to intake ! I get better mpg with hydrogen peroxide and water mix !
          New build on the way .

Comment

ive tried 93% peroxide. but i think the problem would be that the HP would evaporate first, at least in my setup. the water jar gets up to engine coolant temps in under 5 minutes and the engine vacuum allows it to boil at 180 degree F. i dont know the boiling spot of hydrogen pyroxide, but id gander to say its less than water.
            Last edited by bhearts; 04-13-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I put my reservoir above and behind the intake manifold and it was mounted to the firewall. I put the producer between the intake and the brake master cylinder, never had any problems mounted that way. Do not forget to retune the engine as long as you are injecting, results will reach peak way too quick with stock tune..Have fun and keep us int the loop!!
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

what do you mean, peak way too quick. what results? the steam?

Comment

You should always reach a point of diminishing returns as water alone does not provide enough heat to ignite. The point of best possible improvement will occur when oxides of nitrogen are very low. If you cool the combustion further incomplete combustion will start occurring and your performance and mileage improvements will start going south.

If you are not making any mechanical changes then advancing the ignition timing will add heat as will blocking EGR if you have it. As you flirt with detonation you counter with more steam. The deeper you go with this the tricker it is to stay on top of too much/too little.

You can take this further by cracking some of the steam to hydrogen prior to the intake valve but even that is subject to the laws of physics.

The fun part..better MPG'S, and a little more power!

Comment

quick ?: what's keeping the system from sucking raw water when the car undulates? i didnt' see a check-valve or baffle.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Quick is not the term I should have used, the volume of steam injected will reach the point of maximum volume at a fairly low amount of steam if stock tunes are used. More benefit and more steam can be injected with more combustion heat.( More throttle and more timing ) Mechanical would include more compression and valve timing events that build pressure at the desired RPM, and port size velocity, same rpm.

If he draws the steam over the top of the reservoir on the way in it will recycle the water.

As shown and described it lacks this feature but I imagine it will be incorporated soon after the reservoir is tried out. Parking on hills, parts orientation and gravity {siphon}
                      also need to be accounted for.

Take pics and have fun, share!!

Comment

This sounds a bit like HHO but delivered as a steam rather than a gas..

could i see some setup photos at all for this?

how does the steam get delivered into the engine? via the intake or another way?

Have you thought about a LPG flange to introduce the steam into the engine?
                        Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                        Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km
                        City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Is there a thread as to why someone would run steam into the engine? Are you not using any Gasoline/Carbon based fuel at all?
                          Last edited by WeDefyU; 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM.
                          Josh Z.

Comment

the fuel is still the main pressure instance within the chamber. the water vapor (still a liquid) absorbs some of the latent heat (cooling the charge) and then reverts to a gas state... when it does that, the volume of the water vapor JUMPS dramaticly and substantialy increases the cylinder pressure, thus increasing power. increasing power output without increasing fuel output = better MPG (BSFC).
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

even if it does suck up pure water, its not going to have a terrible issues digesting it at cruise throttle. there should be enough air moving and enough temp in the water already that the intake valves should be all itd take to get it to turn into steam. worst case is the engine bogs down a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X