How loud is a straight pipe exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How loud is a straight pipe exhaust?

Looking to get my exhaust done as cheaply as possible... How loud would a straight pipe 2" or so exhaust sound from inside the car? Anyone run one who can answer?
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Straight pipe with no cat? Absolutely unbearable.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

With out cat.... Very!
      With cat crusing is still kinda loud but manageable .do your self and every body around you a favor and get a junk yard muffler if yout want cheap.

Comment

Mine is loud with a hole in the muffler!!
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

the droan within the cabin WILL cause hearing damage within a few minutes. the cabin acts like a resonator and will AMPLIFY certain frequencys to dangerous levels.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Really all depends on the muffler...you need a muffler. Babyspire is stock size piping straight back to a stock style muffler, I barely even notice it....peaspire is stock size straight to a cherrybomb, its definately annoying and needed a resonator or cat...or a stock muffler.
            Last edited by zoom zoom; 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

On my first Festiva, I got the entire exhaust done from the manifold flange to a "fart can" muffler in 2.25". I got it done in Grand Haven, by the time I got back to Holland on 31, I could bearly hear at all. It was horrible. If you take the cat out atleast put a glasspack(cherry bomb/thrush) or a resinator in the middle. You'll still want some sort of muffler out back.
              Last edited by gauge_half_inch; 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM.
              Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
              93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
              93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
              15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I've run B3 and B8ME straight piped. It's obnoxious and terrible and awful and a cheap muffler costs less than a tank of gas in a Festiva. If you straight pipe it you will hate yourself for doing it.
                My B8ME has an offset glasspack AND a turbo style muffler (no cat) and it's still too loud and drones too much for me. And I like loud things.

Comment

I'm running a Glasspack in place of the Cat and another Glasspack in place of the Muffler on my 90L. As it burns out, it's getting louder. I will have Blue Lightning quieter when I get it's new exhaust installed. It will have 2.25 pipe full length. Thinking about turbo mufflers but not sure at the moment what I'm gonna use.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

i have no cat or muffler on my car, the exhaust runs to the rear turbo & its a very nice tone inside the car but very loud if you are behind me when i open her up.
                    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

I've heard yours from behind, it's not loud.
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Just gut the stock muffler. Mine rusted apart on the inside and it sounds great. Not all farty.
                        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                        14 C7 Z51

Comment

My bp has a resinator in place of the cat and some kind of generic straight through muffler and I think it sounds great its minimal noise until I mash off then you can hear whats under the hood :-)
                          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

I have a cat and a cherry bomb right after and the rest is strait pipe with it coming out before the pass rear tire and I love the sound. Quiet while cruising but gets audible when you in it

Comment

I just had 2" pipes, no cat, & turboII mufflerinstallede. No problem/ loud noise/rumble inside car, alittle tinny when you step on it, but nice sound at crusie. Its starting to loose the tinny sound & getting deeper as I put some hours on it. I'm satisfied & I'm an old guy!
                              Last edited by navdoc101; 04-19-2013, 07:50 AM.
                              If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Working...
                              X