is the anything a bit stronger than stock tranny on a b3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the anything a bit stronger than stock tranny on a b3

I'm getting ready to replace the tranny and want to use something a bit more stronger on my b3

the next step up would be a tranny from a b6 motor, i got one from an 88 323, it'll bolt right on to the b3, just need to make mounts

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I'm new to this forum and I'm really a Mazda 323 owner at the moment, but I'm playing around with the idea of getting a Festiva and dropping my newly built b6 into it. I have some tranny questions (one question just got answered on this thread) such as fitment. However, it was mentioned that there needs to be new mounts made. How is this done? Anybody do it? What's involved? Sorry if anyone thinks I'm stealing this thread, but I thought it was a good place to add on to the original posting. After all, if any of us are going to try to put a bigger, stronger tranny into a Festiva, we might as well learn as much about it as possible.

Also, has anybody already done this (that is regularly on this forum)? Are you glad you did it? How does the speedometer read? Accurate? Did the half shafts fit without any mods? Can you use the original shafts? Are the originals different from the 323 shafts? Sorry, I'll stop. 8)

Comment

what motor are you running that you need a stronger transmission? the stock festy trans will take a b6 with all bolt ons and full abuse, its when you try launching at 6k rpm with a bp or b6t that your gonna start having problems, heh

Comment

Well, where do I begin....

It's a completely rebuilt b6 starting with a totally stripped down block that was sent in to be hot-tanked. The block was measured to make sure that there was no unusual wear and was within tolerances (it was fine). It got new freezer plugs, new gaskets everywhere, high volume oil pump, new water pump, new timing belt, a turned camshaft, new rings (cylinder walls honed), main crank journals polished, high oil flow HD main bearings and rod bearings, new keyway, rebuilt cylinder head that was ported and polished (gasket-matched), cylinder head was reground to "hemi" design and 'cc-ed to drop compression correctly evenly because I have added a Subaru IHI-5 turbo. We built a custom header and downpipe both which were ceramic-coated for longevity and heat tolerance. I bought an MSD 6BTM box plus the MSD coil and tack-adapter, Accel wires, NGK plugs, new Honda Civic aluminum radiator (because it's smaller but thicker-cored), Rx-7 IC, ACT clutch kit, Phantom Grip LSD kit and we lightened the flywheel by about 3.5 pounds. This is all I can remember so far....

Comment

Oh yeah, I bought a used oil cooler from turbo-ed Volvo, a new remote oil filter adapter which now allows me to put the oil filter just about anywhere I want and allows me to use the big PH-8 oil filter. I have a new NAPA premium fuel filter... I'll think of more of the stuff that's taking up room in my garage.... 8)

And honestly, I have no idea how much HP I'll be putting out, so if the b6 tranny is a little beefier, then good. I don't plan to run a lot of boost nor do I plan on driving this thing super hard. It's more so that I have more umph when passing or going over the mountain passes by where I live.

Comment

Working...
            X