Considering an Alternator Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering an Alternator Delete

I've heard of people just taking the belts off and wiring in a battery bank in series. I was wondering, is anything about the b3 that would make this an inadvisable modification?
    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

If you are serious make sure you use deep cycle batteries. They are common for boats/RVs. I don't think the extra weight would be worth loosing the alternator though.
    2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
    1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Or having to pay to refill batteries with electricity at home+the added weight.
      Might offset the gains but you won't know until you try.
      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
        Or having to pay to refill batteries with electricity at home+the added weight.
        Might offset the gains but you won't know until you try.
        I have a pretty good idea of what to expect gains wise from experiments done by other people. Adding 100 pounds in batteries will cost me about 1mpg and not having the alternator drag should result in 3-4mpg gain, for a net of 2-3mpg. It's more just to see what is possible with the Festiva than savings at this point, because the minimal saving won't offset the inconvenience of making sure the batteries are properly maintained and charged. My original question had more to do with removing the alternator belt. I was concerned that one of those pulleys ran a water pump or something of that nature.
        Last edited by mikeyjd; 07-14-2013, 01:55 PM.
        My Fuel Log

Comment

The alternator belt DOES run the water pump so you have to turn the water pump via some method.
          I've seen in Hotod magazine that some people run the water pump with an electric motor. That could be an option for a Festiva project.
          Last edited by Team Lightning; 07-14-2013, 01:59 PM.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Couldn't you just replace The belt with a smaller belt to fit around all the pulleys except the alternator?

Or is the alternator the tensioner for the whole system?

I guess if the were the case you'd need to keep the ac pulley mounted to a metal bracket.
            Where the two end pieces connect to the 2 bolts the alternator are held in place with.
            It would make a custom tensioner to fit in place of the alternator.

Just an idea.
            Last edited by rmoltis; 07-14-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
              Couldn't you just replace The belt with a smaller belt to fit around all the pulleys except the alternator?

Or is the alternator the tensioner for the whole system?

I guess if the were the case you'd need to keep the ac pulley mounted to a metal bracket.
              Where the two end pieces connect to the 2 bolts the alternator are held in place with.
              It would make a custom tensioner to fit in place of the alternator.

Just an idea.
              Yeah it is the tensioner. I think it's probably a nogo since I don't want to mess around with figuring out an electric motor to run the water pump.
              My Fuel Log

Comment

Alternator delete = very stupid idea

But to each their own

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I always thought it would be cool to take a festiva and remove the engine.
                  And leave the transmission in place.
                  And you know how the engine holds the flywheel.
                  Make a way to mount the flywheel to the transmission so it supports the whole clutch assembly.

And somehow with some magic between the cabin and the transmission.
                  Make a bicycle peddle type setup running with one "axle" for the driver and passenger to pedal.
                  And maybe scoot the seats back for room.
                  And make yourself the engine connected to the gearbox.
                  All while being able to change gears still for increased peddling efficiency.
                  Maybe a tiny alternator capable of running the lights and wipers.
                  And something that generates vacuum for the brake booster.

And remove any extra weight possible associated with the engine.
                  Exhaust, engine, gas tank etc.

This would be fun to drive.
                  And instead of miles per gallon.
                  It would be miles per calorie.
                  :-D

Comment

This might be worth it for 1/4 miles...

Battery enough for 10 min warm up and the run, without having engine charge a battery, or turn a pump for more ponies on the ground....

Summit sells electric pump kits.

Besides that, just spend the few extra pennies @ the nozzle?

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                    Last edited by jason_; 07-14-2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
                      This might be worth it for 1/4 miles...

Battery enough for 10 min warm up and the run, without having engine charge a battery, or turn a pump for more ponies on the ground....

Summit sells electric pump kits.

Besides that, just spend the few extra pennies @ the nozzle?

Yeah, like I said it has nothing to do with the pennies, as I know the savings is insignificant. It would literally take over 50,000miles to pay for itself if one was able to source cheap batteries and do it all the time. That being said, I'm interested in seeing how far I can push the limits on fuel efficiency with this particular vehicle, but we all have our limits as to what we're willing to invest for what we want. I'm in the process of looking into more advanced modifications and this is one of the more common ones. In all likelihood I won't end up going forward with this mod since the water pump is dependent on the belt and the alternator doubles as the tensioner.
                      My Fuel Log

Comment

Free Shipping - Proform Parts 66235B with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Water Pump, Electric Drive Kits at Summit Racing.

If the alt and all else is out of the way there would be plenty of room for this kit to be installed.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

We ran our circle track car without the alternator. I fabricated a bracket and used an idler pulley in place of the alternator. It worked fine. I used a regular good quality starter battery (not a deep cycle) and would fully charge it before each night of racing. The battery would run for the whole night, but that's not the same if you were going to be driving for hours or using any kind of lights on the car.
                          You gonna race that thing?
                          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Solar panel the ecm and water pump.

Just check cloud cover before rolling out.

Comment

Why not just disconnect the ignition lead to the back of the alternator. The alternator would no longer charge the battery. You would still get minor losses from the belt though.

If the experiment proves worthwhile then you could always add a toggle switch to the alternator to turn it on and off.

Comment

Working...
                              X