No announcement yet.

posi stock tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering/suspension will have Too much give/flex/unibody tweak in a FWD car to stay stout if one axle gives.

On a rear axle housing truck/car when I snapped axles, all she do is 1 mile tire burns.....impressively pointless and funny, but handled like it never broke....

I just don't think he understands how wild this can get on a FWD setup....

And it is weird just the last bit of those splines stripped.... Hmmhmmmmmm.......

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

I do understand every thang my car is made for off road maybe a little driving in a small town but this won't be my DD ill be getting a nother car for that sence this one I have is rusty and not pretty that is why I'm making it for OFF ROAD yes it will probably break, handle a little worse, eat more tires, but I'm only worried about mud and rocks getting over them daily driving when I started this build just smoking 4x4s was my main reason
      Last edited by Micro Mudder; 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM.
      1993 festy "white stallion" BP swap with 7" lift, 1ton wench
      R.I.P. 1991 festy "the festiva" stock b3, atv bumper, 8' whip

Comment

I think what folks are pointing out is that regardless of your main reason for building this project, you need to think about the fact that if you are planning to drive this on the roads at all you need to be respectful to the other folks with whom you share the road. I for one don't want to meet someone coming home from a mudbog one rainy day sliding around a corner straight into the car I may be riding in with my wife and kids. Whether it is a festiva or not, you can do plenty of damage with it to other people, not to mention yourself as well.

Also, is your signature a joke? Because if not, then it REALLY is!
        Last edited by htchbck; 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

And john wane said it I'm not meaning to piss off or scare people yes it could break and end up bad but a phamtom grip or any other posi frount ends could break my axles are a little beefer then stock and a bit longer so they won't fall out and chew of the last fue teeth but there is alwasy that problem you got to worry about I know but I'm going to be off road with it

Comment

I think John Wayne used proper grammar when he said it... and he probably also spelled his name correctly, but then again what do I know? :lol: Just poking at you lol

But I think where people were getting confused is that you keep stressing that this is an off road project, yet you also keep talking about being on the highway with it. If it is a true off road project, then its not going to be on public roadways, and therefore the safety of the general population doesn't need to be nearly as big of a factor in deciding how to proceed.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by chris (Festiva) View Post
              yes it could break and end up bad but a phamtom grip or any other posi frount ends could break
              It is worlds better(safety wise) to blow a trans(using a Phantom or some other limiter) and be totally dead than to snap an axle off and still have the other one pulling when it happens on a FWD car, on the road. I think that's the thing you're not seeing. If you off road it 99% of the time and you snap an axle coming home one day from an outing on the asphalt, whatever you hit doesn't care about the 99% success, and you won't either.

But it's your car/life/etc.
              Last edited by sketchman; 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Yea the longest time it will be on asphalt will be on its way home that's the only reason I need it somewhat street safe but other then that it won't be used for on the road I know you guys are right if it does break its probably gameover if I get the money in a week or two ill look in to the phamtom grip or somthen cheeper if there is. But john wane isn't my name so I never learned how to spell it or any otherword for that matter and that's how his grammer was in the poaster at least how I thought it was
                Last edited by Micro Mudder; 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

People that weld up their front diff on a rock crawler trailer their rig to the trail. What everybody is saying here is please do not put other people's lives in danger if you plan on the being on the road at all then don't weld... If you plan on doing a phantom grip then you are less likely to have problems, but the problems may still arise. I have never even seen a phantom grip myself so I do think know if it's a clutch plate lsd or not... But in a Fwd vehicle it can still be unsafe so please be careful and respectful to other people who are on the roads with you.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

To all you know it alls, you are the danger we have to be aware of. You blithely drive like you own the road. You drive right by the OHV signs. You ignore the 10 mph sign because the big wide road looks safe at 60 mph. You want to see the Ocean or whatever, take pics but you didn't learn the rules of the area. You didn't get a map of the area. You didn't get your state cert card to show you have studied and earned your right to recreate there. When you leave your cities things can be different than what you are used to. You are the guys we find lost, or lost and dead out here. You are the ones we find using our trail for a shooting range. You are the ones drifting corners on the main trail because "nobody is out here" .

Chris knows his home area, he knows what is safe there. He is pushing limits in some areas where none of you have with festivas. I think we need to be supportive along with the safety talk, I enjoy it when we can progress with the project. I am sure chris and the rest of us doing crazy stuff will test our experiments well beyond any stresses a hiway can offer before we go there. We fully support all city stuff lets see a little tolerance for country ways.

Another activity we are going to have to do in "Mexico" lol
                    Last edited by Movin; 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Movin, I'm totally down with him welding his diff if he's going to keep it off the street, just like I keep all my cars/van off the ATV trails because they are not engineered to be on them. I do realize that your festiva is a different story, as you HAVE engineered it to be on the trails as well as the street. Also, I'm not a city boy, nor am I a know it all. But we have plenty of trails down here too, and I have seen the mess you can get in when you start building a "dedicated" trail rig, then start running it on the streets. Just like there is a difference between a full blown drag car and a street car, there is a difference between a full blown trail rig and a street car. As for the limits of the highway vs the limits of a trail... well those two can't be compared. Just because something works well on a trail, doesn't mean it will work well, or even safely, on the highway.
                      Last edited by htchbck; 07-23-2013, 12:51 PM.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

No city slicker here either.

Now, some specs. All measures taken with a digital micrometer. No tape measure, ruler, etc.

If I get my trans apart before anyone else tries it (it needs a shift shaft seal), I have one of the 7.5" diff S springs collecting dust, and it WILL be tried. How soon is a crap shoot, though.

To clarify, when it says base and top in the pic, it's referring to the lowest and highest diameters of the lip around the inside of the gear.
                        Last edited by sketchman; 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I'm. Going to buy a phantom grip sence I'm making enough to buy a festy a week so I've been on hold with my decision till I find the best solution to my build every thang better and and get as much power to the wheels but sence I will be replacing the spider gears I'm going to weld them just cuuz they will be thrown away but my car is not going to be driven on the street only in winter now cuz I just bought a motorcycle 78 xs1100 majror balls so the roadways will be safe of myy monster festy

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                            No city slicker here either.

Now, some specs. All measures taken with a digital micrometer. No tape measure, ruler, etc.

If I get my trans apart before anyone else tries it (it needs a shift shaft seal), I have one of the 7.5" diff S springs collecting dust, and it WILL be tried. How soon is a crap shoot, though.

To clarify, when it says base and top in the pic, it's referring to the lowest and highest diameters of the lip around the inside of the gear.
                            Subscribed. Just for this ^
                            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                            X