AC compressor turned air compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC compressor turned air compressor?

I was admiring an uncles truck the other day, it's got a custom air compressor built onto the engine driven by the serp belt like it was meant to be there. Anyway we got to talking and he mentioned that it's possible to turn an AC compressor into an Air Compressor, and control the clutch with a pressure regulator. I can kind of see it working in my head, but has anyone else ever heard of this, or done it? I think it would be really neat to have a built in air compressor on my festy, I'm sure it's capable of pumping out some cfm so it wouldn't really need much of a tank, maybe a 10 gallon..or less?

Any thoughts or ideas on how to actually turn this into a reality or am I wasting time putting thought into this?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

the A/C compressor IS an air compressor... R-12 and R-134a are both gasses at room temp, and that's what the A/C compressor compresses. air is also a gas (actually it's many gasses, but you get the point). all you need is a check valve and a storage tank after the high side tube, then a filter on the low side tube.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

google got some hits, don't know why I didn't think of it before I posted a thread >.<

anyway it does look kind of do-able, I need a small nose crank accessory pulley.. and a tensioner. I might already have the rest.

well..only thing left is to do the thing..
      Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-29-2013, 09:10 PM.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

The problem is lubrication, the AC systems constantly circulate oil to keep the compressor lubed up. They can be used as air compressors (really high pressure ones too, so beware of this!) but you'll need to figure out some sort of lubrication system. I think they're a high pressure, low or moderate flow compressor so don't plan on running air tools or anything unless you get a big reservoir
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

I used a small in line oil injector bought for air tools. Except lubing tools, lubed intake of the compressor. I use it occasionally on my work truck when I need air, just dump 12v and locks the clutch for me, snap coupler under the front and rear bumper. And I used air tanks from semis under box fenders for air storage, and a typical relief tied into my 12v run so it'll override when above 150#.

Drain oil/water from traps, separate/screen, dump back in oiler.

And manual override off when driving down road.

Simple. I went this setup because 3 50ft hoses did the job, and much easier to handle then an electric pancake.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
          Last edited by jason_; 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I like the idea of an inline injector, hadn't thought of that. Honestly the oiling thing was the only reason I never did this on my van. Compressor runs great, just had too many oring leaks and popped line going to the evap core. Too bad I just bought a new core and lines this past weekend or I'd be doing this project using Jason's method! Oh well, at least I'll be able to get back in the van and cool off after hauling my 6 gallon compressor around lol.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

It works. Slow. No cfm. But high pressure. I was playing one day and it'll obviously do 300psi no problem.

Have to have an air tank. You can fart more then it pumps in 30 revolutions. But for small construction it's good. US 4wheeler guys do it for sand play when needed to get back on pavement. Slow, but my god, quicker then the 2 mile line at the ONE gas station within 35 miles....

I had to texture ceilings, so I'd drop hoses from 3rd floor and hose to bumper, and had another 30gall tank in topper

Spray, fiddle and refill hopper, by then caught up, spray, repeat.

Don't expect to sandblast or automotive spray paint.....

Comment

good stuff guys, I'd really like to see this done, can't do it anytime really soon but we'll see what happens.

With a inline oiler and oil separator, it should be alright?

I have a portable 11 gallon tank I could probably use for this, would it be enough to run a pnuematic impact for very short bursts? just enough to pop off an axle nut... I won't need to do any time consuming projects with this but it would be really nice in some of the local junk yards or for roadside repairs... I could probably even use a 20 gallon tank I have, if that's not enough I guess there's always the 100lb propane tank I'll never use for anything else..?
                Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-30-2013, 06:02 PM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Search the net for OBA, on board air. Offroaders have been doing this for years.
                  Rick
                  1993 Ford Festiva
                  1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                  1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                  2000 Ford E350

Comment

100# propane with 160# will almoooost fill 23.5x25 thats 48" tall enough to carry a 18ton machine. I've done it. Saggy, but won't roll off the rim if on the non loader side.

In garage, I have a 1" hose that's 10ft long with adapters I snap to my 1/2" hose, and that acts as a small reservoir for my 1" impact in short 1 second bursts, for reference. 1/2 second squeeze and axle nuts are off if you have a 1" impact. 1" doesn't joke around. Stuff turns, or stuff breaks. I don't unstake nuts, they'll turn..

I'm a stout guy, and but get tired handling that impact quick... Dude is heavy.... 1" impact will tear threads up on aspire axles.... Been there and done it. Don't use impacts when tightening. One snap tight is too tight....

Last edited by jason_; 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X