Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto cam vs. manual

Hey all,
    I heard that the cam in the automatic cars is a little more aggressive than in the manual cars. Has anyone else heard that? The hearsay comes from a fellow festiva guy that has owned more than a dozen.
    thanks
    carbonvmax
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

If you are looking for a performance cam check out Festiva motorsport's cam!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

cam

I'm not looking for performance... yet. I'm actually making a motorcycle hauler out of my current festiva. I'll make a performance festiva one day... lol... I've been saying that since 91. It is in reach though. I'm actually just looking for knowledge as I part 'em out.
      thanks
      carbonvmax
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

i believe it has something to do with fuel management and the injectors

not the cam

Comment

Ok The original reason I posted this was because my buddy (12 plus festivas and counting) has an automatic with an engine from a manual car. He looked it up and there are 2 different part numbers for the 2 cams from a manual and an automatic. Any Ideas... anyone? thanks

Comment

If they are two different part numbers then they are a different part... obviously. It isn't unusual for an automatic car to have a different camshaft then its manual counterpart...
            * Retired Festiva-er*
            1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
            B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Yes, 2 different part numbers does mean 2 different parts. What I'm trying to find out it is what is the difference. Is the cam more aggresive in the auto maybe? They might have done that to compensate for the power loss from the auto trans.

Comment

My ford manual only shows 1 set of specs for the cam. It doesn't say anything about auto or manual.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

If there is any difference it will likely be where the power "comes on." Automatics tend to like a cam that makes more power at lower rpms, and manuals like the power a little higher. I doubt there's really a difference though....just checked, there's only one cam listed. If there are any differences, it will be control rather than mechanics doing the job.

Comment

It was about 6 years ago that advance auto listed 2 different cams for the auto and manual.
                    thanks all

Comment

From what I can tell it looks like the only year they list 2 cams for is 89. They list one cam for the MTX because it was carb'd with mechanical lifters, and the other for ATX with EFI and hydraulic lifters

I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm mistaken on this

Comment

Originally posted by coug68
                        From what I can tell it looks like the only year they list 2 cams for is 89. They list one cam for the MTX because it was carb'd with mechanical lifters, and the other for ATX with EFI and hydraulic lifters

I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm mistaken on this
                        Now that is some useful data. Thanks coug68! btw do you still have a 68 cougar? I want pics. If you've seen my posts that's my dream ride. I've been wanting one since I was 15. I finally got the motorcycle I always wanted in the summer of 05. Took 10 took years for that. I'll have a cougar... one day.

Comment

Yes I still have a '68 cougar, It's been sitting awhile since it needed some front end work (steering is shot). I just bought a Unisteer rack and pinion setup for it, haven't made the time to install it yet though.

Here's a pic of it playing in the snow

Comment

Lucky you. How long have you had that? Man that car is just sweet.

Comment

I've had it for 10 or 11 years now. It used to have a place in the garage, but since I moved and don't have a garage anymore it's not as nice as it used to be. Still pretty clean though, only a few rust pinholes in one of the rear fenderwells so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X