magnetic drain plugs engine+transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnetic drain plugs engine+transmission

Hey guys there is a website that sells magnetic drain plugs.

And I'm about to order one for the aspire and one for the corolla.

I have the correct size of the oil drain plug for the corolla engine M12x1.25

And I have the correct size for the aspire engine. M14x1.5

But I can't find any info on the size of the aspire manual transmission size???

I would like to have magnetic drain plugs for both.

I just don't want to have to do a drain and refill once to get the correct thread size.

Then order the new one and do it again.

Especially when my last fill was only 20k ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

$35 bucks each! They should be gold plated at that price. I will have to buy one for the engine and transmission. The transmission is a problem, since the magnet has to be flush. The gears spin very low in the housing. Sorry, I don't know the sizes off the top of my head. There is a listing for every nut, bolt, plug size + torque spec on this site.

I was just checking out the links listing on this site. Attention moderators: The majority of the links listed are broken or obsolete.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 09-14-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure but I think the oil and transmission plug sizes are the same? Can anyone verify this? M14 X 1.5.

Comment

They are a lil spendy.

But worth it to me.
        And anyone else trying to squeeze the most engine life possible out of their car.

In the future I wish to rebuild my engine for performance
        And having these plugs ahead of time will be a good thing to have.

Also I would like to order them all at once so I only have to pay one shipping charge.
        Instead of 3.
        Last edited by rmoltis; 09-14-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I have these neodymium magnets I got off of Motoxpress. I decided to put one each on the drain plugs last week, and they are still on there. I am ROUGH on my car, and go over some old rough driveways at times. After a while, the plugs themselves will be magnetic on their own, and it won't cost $70!
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Got my drain plugs ordered.

I decided to just get an oil drain plug for each vehicle.

1 for the aspire & 1 for the corolla.

Seeing as the engine produces more metal particles in the oil than the transmission does.

Oil change time is fast approaching and I will get these plugs put in both vehicles.

And I will report back after 1 oil change and see if there are any noticeable particles captured in either vehicle.

Comment

Be aware newer (00+) engines are using aluminum bearings...

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

If that's the case ill just rely on the fact.
                That I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil with new filters every 3000 miles.
                To prevent excessive engine wear even if the magnet doesn't suck up debris from bearings specifically.

I'm assuming that not all engine components are made from aluminum though :-)

Comment

In theory journals are case hardened about 040 thick. Yet they egg shape..... Go figure...

You'll catch ring/bore wipe.

If you're that anal, change oil when it gets black regardless of time /mileage, obviously oil itself is catching something if it's not honey brown anymore....

Engine wear takes place on first few revolutions before oil gets pressurized, so what good is that expensive synthetic sitting in the pan every morning instead of cushioning the crank @ 40psi while piston explosively is forced downward on the journal a couple times?

Hmmmmmmmmm....

Yeah I stopped buying that overpriced nonsense market wannabe seller pitch.

Pulling 14,000rpm for 200 miles that'll beat down carbon chains with pressure and heat at the molecular level, yeah, I'll buy 7 qts.

Not driving to work and getting groceries.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                  Last edited by jason_; 09-15-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

A 5 quart jug is only like $25 at walmart
                    And Costco sells 6 liters for $26 on sale occasionally.

I don't think its expensive.

Also it gets very cold here in pa in winter.

Very rough starts when its 3 degrees out.

Synthetic is proven to protect better in a wider temperature range.

Also my oil level never runs low during intervals.

Whereas regular oil tends to burn off reducing level and needing topping off.

As well as I feel a difference between the two types and get 1-2 mpgs more with synthetic.
                    I check my mpgs every fill up.

Personal preference I guess.
                    Last edited by rmoltis; 09-16-2013, 03:17 AM.

Comment

I pulled my oil plug and manual trans plug yesterday. They are both the same width. I checked with ny vernier calipers. I already have a neodymium magnet oil plug. The magnet just sticks out a lot farther than the one you ordered. I can't remember where I bought it. It was probably on the bay. This isn't mine. but an example of what's available.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 09-17-2013, 07:33 AM.

Comment

You have a festiva correct?

Since I have a different transmission.
                        I'm not sure if my drain plug would be identical.

I'll just have to drain and refill one day and check the threads

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                          I pulled my oil plug and manual trans plug yesterday. They are both the same width. I checked with ny vernier calipers. I already have a neodymium magnet oil plug. The magnet just sticks out a lot farther than the one you ordered. I can't remember where I bought it. It was probably on the bay. This isn't mine. but an example of what's available.

Regular neodynium magnets lose their magnetic strength after being exposed to temperatures above 175 degrees.

Whereas the dimple magnets maintain magnetic strength at temperatures above 300 degrees.

Also they are the strongest drain plug magnets available in the world.

I just got them in the mail.

Holy crap they are strong.

I can hang around 6lbs on them.
                          Last edited by rmoltis; 09-18-2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I had a pair of large neo magnets for my 3/4" tankless water heater service line. Powerfull magnets make the metal ions less susceptible to creating deposits. I accidentally let them touch together before installation. I almost didn't get them apart. I won't make that mistake again.

Comment

So here are a few pictures of what came in the package with the magnetic drain plugs.

It came with a thread pitch/length/width guide/ruler.

2 dimple stickers.

2 business cards to spread the word.

1 dimple drain plug magnet brochure

Both magnetic drain plugs I ordered came with a new washer on each one.

4 extra washers, 2 for each drain plug size.

And a hand signed thank you note for purchasing.

I'm pretty happy with my order.
                              Especially after playing around with them lifting heavy metal objects.
                              These tiny magnets lift a lot despite their small size.

I have to change the oil in both cars (corolla+aspire).
                              So they will be going in both cars with fresh synthetic oil+new filters.

Also with the new thread pitch/length/width guide.
                              I can measure the aspires transmission threads and get one ordered up with confidence it will fit.

Will post oil change feedback after 3000 miles on both vehicles and see what's going on in there.

Hopefully my cars are both well maintained and have little wear going on.
                              But hey winter is around the corner and the Cold starts will be the real test.
                              I'll keep everyone posted.
                              Last edited by rmoltis; 09-21-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X