Rattling noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling noise

OKay so I got my muffler on, and now the car is quite enough to hear all the little noises. When I rev the engine there is a rattling coming from somewheres inside the engine bay, I think it might be the altenator bearings, but my mechanic (the asshole one) says "I heard your (ring bearings) when you left the other day, that engine has way more than 75,000 miles on it. " Im pretty confident the engine only has 75k on it, its not smoking, and its strong, and responsive, im going to get it compression tested tomorrow if the mechanic will spare me his precious time. Anywho.

What could be making this noise except the altenator? I also don't have a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the down pipe, due to the fact that no one carries one thats right. Autozone has only one and it doesn't match up. Could this be letting in a slight amount of air into the downpipe causing a noise?

Logan.

Have a friend rev it while you locate where the noise is coming from.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

WTH are "ring bearings"? :shock: Are they anything like "muffler bearings"? :lol: That aside, checking your alternator for noise is as easy as removing the belt and starting the engine to see if the noise disappeared. If you still have the noise without the alternator running (which I suspect you will), get a 3 ft. piece of an old garden hose and hold one end up to your ear and have someone rev your engine. Move the other end of the hose around the engine bay. You should be able to locate the source of the noise by listening to the noise that is generated in the hose. I suspect the noise may be either exhaust related or if you are using solid or stronger than stock motor mounts, they can transmit vibration to the car body making a rattling sound.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Working...
      X