Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Assist?

Hey all,

Curious to know if anyone else has been thinking about something like this. Since the weakness of the Festiva is traction, it would be interesting to see what would happen if you added a 5th wheel that could help you accelerate off the line. It would even give you the added benefit of having a bigger motor at the front and still get good gas mileage. I say 5th wheel since it would likely be the easiest way to add the motor, but it would be even cooler to build it up as a solid rear with an electric motors on either side. Obviously the cost and added weight would be a huge factor, but keeping in mind the torque available off the line it sure is an interesting idea.

I have been doing a lot of reading, but I am still scratching the surface of the electric motor world. Anyone know of what the best bang for buck in electric motors are at the moment? There are lots of electric forklift motors being mentioned, but I wondered if I was missing something better. With all the electric / hybrid vehicles out there I notice there are some good deals on battery packs now. Is this that crazy, or is it getting in the realm of possibility? Thanks for listening.
    - Form should follow function...

Why not strip the interior, take out the engine, and add training wheels and pedals?

1,000,000 MPG.

But all kidding aside, you literally mean a 5th tire on the ground? Possibly make a rear-wheel-drive motor and stick it in the back, add a third wheel to the rear.. have 3-wheel-drive.

Oh yes.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to do an aerocivic project. We are all leaving so much on the tables by only doing power increasing projects. Aero is where it's at. Ugly hideous aero.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

make it quick connect in a trailer hitch hahahaha.

Comment

Yes, I do really mean a 5th pusher wheel probably sticking out a bit behind. I was playing around with having a lever actuated drop down system that would allow it to retract up when not being used. (Or you wanted to hide how ugly it looked!) Perhaps an easier cleaner solution would be to take the rear wheel drive setup from a 323GTX and turn it using the electric motor. In the front you could run your 180+ hp BP, but the whole idea would be getting a huge amount of torque to get you out of the hole. Electric is no joke, and as batteries get better and cheaper it will start to show up more and more.

Last edited by eurotiva; 10-30-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I would be lying if I said I wasn't contemplating that...

(Regarding the quick connect trailer hitch hookup...)
            Last edited by SiliconSoul; 10-30-2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconSoul View Post
              Ohhh, that launch.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Well looky what I found...

(edit: this things just a baby. 2hp ! )
                Last edited by SiliconSoul; 10-30-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Do some research on electric motors before you decide that the HP rating means it's too small. On electric it's different. IIRC they measure it at no load or nearly no load or something like that. Point is, the HP rating is not the best thing to go by. Electric motors respond to how much load is on them. They will actually build more torque if given more load by drawing more and more juice till they burn up if given the opportunity.

I read a lot about the stuff a while ago, but I don't remember all the specifics. Point is to look beyond the HP rating.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Just found a good article on Hackaday talking about a Ford used battery pack. Cool read.

Any time we hear from [Charles Z. Guan], we know it’s going to be a good feature. When he’s linking us to a blog post with phrases like “If you touch the wrong spots, you will commit suicide instan…

Comment

Yes ive brought up the idea of using an electric motor to spin a rear end off something else, pretty much a seperate system of the gas engine. It's doable but giving a prius a rear turbo on race gas is probably easier
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                      X