Rio trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio trans

2003 kia rio 5sp for sale on CL. Will it fit B3?
    Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
    Red 88festiva L 4spd
    Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

I think it is a pretty easy swap. I'm looking to use the rio tranny in one of my cars.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Jblair, I suggest you get the clutch and flywheel from the Rio trans if at all possible.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Hmmm, dont know what guy has. Hes dumping parts for dirt cheap. 85$ for trans. What else would i need? Im thinking axleS for sure, so knuckles too, im stock right now.
        Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

You can use the knuckles but you don't have to .
          You will how ever need the axels you can use the mounts that are on the Rio trans and drill. New cross member mount holes.
          Get the Rio clutch presserplate and flywheel.
          Are you planning a motor swap? If not i would just stick with the stock trans .
          Some of the rios. Have pretty steep gears and will
          hurt you mpg's.
          I would pm shadetree he has done this trans swap
          and would have more info.

Comment

You also have to make a piece to attach the clutch cable to the Rio fork correctly. I just sliced a ~1" section of round steel tube lengthways and drilled a hole through it. Otherwise the Festiva clutch cable can slip through.

Also, you need a rio starter and to modify the starter wiring to get it to the backside of the engine. I didn't bother hooking up the reverse or neutral lights, but they are different connectors as well. Not sure if the speedometer cable will work either, the Rio one is electronic.

Comment

Dang thats very different, im not going to go that route. Ill keep Looking for a complete aspire to be a donor for 2 of my festys
              Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Jblair, keep in mind the Aspire 5 speed transaxles were made in Korea by Kia and not Japan by Mazda like the Festiva ones. The Kia 5 speeds have some inferior parts. Bearings, I think.

They wear out sooner.

Roger from FMS told me that and at least one other person on this board has made the same observation.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thank you for that. I need trans and want to do suspension swap, id also like the b3 to rebuild for when i turbo., im trying to do this all most cost effective, i want to swap my 4speed in the 88 and my 91L has a bad 4th gear.
                  Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Working...
                  X