G series BPT problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G series BPT problems

So I found a new car and scored it for $150! But Im now working on the G series swap and dont clearly understand everything.
    What do I need other than
    xr2 flywheel/clutch
    xr2 midshaft and axles

Anyone got pics of there set up? thanks

you can use xr2 or bp clutch. I would go bp if your buying new, its bigger! So you would want bp clutch and bp flywheel. I gave you the mid shaft, and you will need 2 xr2 axles. I would suggest empi axles if buying new, there thicker and stronger then remanufactured ones. You will need a xr2 shifter tube assembly or have someone weld you up something.

Comment

Sweet! Yeah I do have the midshaft haha and I can weld so can I cut the festiva shifter assembly and extend it? Ill check those axles out too!
      Do I have to make a different mount for the midshaft to mount to the block?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
        . I would go bp if your buying new, its bigger! So you would want bp clutch and bp flywheel.
        BP & XR2 clutch should both be the same size at 225mm

If you're using XR2 axles you'll need to modify it to fit the BP block, there's a couple ways to do this. Here's a thread on ClubProtege outlining the issue:
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

What about a block plate or whatever that plate is that goes between the engine and transmission? Or is that even needed?

Originally posted by bondo View Post
          Sweet! Yeah I do have the midshaft haha and I can weld so can I cut the festiva shifter assembly and extend it? Ill check those axles out too!
          Do I have to make a different mount for the midshaft to mount to the block?
          Pics of what I used for mine.

on car:

Got it from a member on the forum as seen here:
          Last edited by b1gballin; 02-07-2014, 01:33 AM.

Comment

^^i did the same thing for my KL swap.... I'd rather weld up a mounting bracket to bolt the intermediate shaft to, much cleaner install that way and nicer if you ever need to replace the intermediate shaft

Here's a pic of my mounting bracket

Last edited by Damkid; 02-07-2014, 08:37 AM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Sweet thanks guys! And is that blocking plate needed?? if so does anyone have one I could buy? also a bp starter? thanks

Comment

It's the klze clutch and pressure plate that's bigger than Bp/xr2 clutch and bolts to the xr2/Bp flywheel. I got one and I know it fits but I haven't used it. CP.com guys have been using them. Look it up over there it's supposedly about 10%bigger, more friction surface=better grip. Spec clutches obviously work well, I heard that's what the worlds fastest Festiva uses! Will be my next brand.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

G series BPT problems

I'm using a cheap upgraded clutch now an learning the hard way. If you are going for a lot of power get the best clutch you can otherwise you will be doing it again later. ACT $450

I can feel my clutch and flywheel start coming apart when I hit 16lbs on the bp. By that I mean I feel it chattering trying to slip. It's just too much PowA!
                  Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM.
                  1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                    It's the klze clutch and pressure plate that's bigger than Bp/xr2 clutch and bolts to the xr2/Bp flywheel. I got one and I know it fits but I haven't used it. CP.com guys have been using them. Look it up over there it's supposedly about 10%bigger, more friction surface=better grip. Spec clutches obviously work well, I heard that's what the worlds fastest Festiva uses! Will be my next brand.
                    ??? Where are you finding this? All the KL/BP/B6T clutches are 225mm. The pressure plates are all the same. Some stock pressure plates may be stronger (clamping force) than the others, but in the aftermarket you can find much stronger ones. The throwout bearings between these kits may be a little different.

The ACT Heavy Duty pressure plate with a Super Street disk will hold a whole lot of power while still being streetable. I have the same clutch combo in both the GTXR2 and my new XR2, coupled to a Fidanza flywheel. No slip even with the grip of the AWD vs a turbo BP

Rocketchips!

Comment

^^im pretty sure the throw out bearings are the same too

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                        ??? Where are you finding this? All the KL/BP/B6T clutches are 225mm. The pressure plates are all the same. Some stock pressure plates may be stronger (clamping force) than the others, but in the aftermarket you can find much stronger ones. The throwout bearings between these kits may be a little different.

The ACT Heavy Duty pressure plate with a Super Street disk will hold a whole lot of power while still being streetable. I have the same clutch combo in both the GTXR2 and my new XR2, coupled to a Fidanza flywheel. No slip even with the grip of the AWD vs a turbo BP
                        Not trying to be rude or anything but I'm not going to spend too much time or go into too much depth defending myself on this subject. If you search klze clutch on clubprotege you will find several dozens of hits where those guys use klze clutches. Here's one example. http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...ht=Klze+clutch just to prove it has been said by someone who has been around Mazdas for a long time.

I myself purchased a southbend clutch kit for a 626 and have all the stuff bolted together. I can say definitively the clutch disk was bigger than the old g series disk I had laying around from the guy that sent me the flywheel, and when I had the flywheel resurfaced I had to make sure the machine shop resurfaced enough area, not just where the old clutch wore. Rockauto shows some brands having a 230mm disk, I didn't measure and don't care to. If anyone wants to get more in depth and shed more light on the subject I'm open to reading your posts!

There is something to be said for tried and true, so now I'm looking at the spec clutches for any potential future swaps. Maybe act now that you and flyin4stroke mentioned it.
                        Last edited by zoom zoom; 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I'm not trying to be rude either.

As best I can tell from the comments there, he's referring a 1.8 Miata flywheel/clutch combo (which some people choose to run as there is a wide variety of clutch and flywheel options but you HAVE to run both as they're not compatible with the FWD stuff. Seems it was more popular back in the day before the FWD aftermarket became more popular)
                          The 1.8 Miata clutch is 215mm dia, so the +10mm dia he's referring to would be 225 like the stock B6T/BP/KL clutches.

The KL is a much more common modder platform, you'll see a wider variety of clutches listed under these apps than for the BP or B6T even though the interchange is all just the same, it's just a matter of marketing. So yeah "go for the KL clutches" may have come along as a product of this

There's room to squeeze a 230mm disk on that flywheel & some brands may have taken advantage of that, or are re-purposing friction disks from other applications to cut mfg costs.

The ACT part# for the clutch I recommended is Z62-HDSS (which is the same # for capri XR2, BP, and KL platforms)
                          And FWIW I've been around the Capri/Mazda community for nearly a decade now. All the way back to the now defunct Mazda323performance forums

Rocketchips!

Comment

Im not trying to be rude but does anyone know if I need the Block plate off a BP and were I can get one? also a starter? thanks haha

Comment

Thanks rocketman!
                              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Working...
                              X