Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire Head Swap

Hey,
    Burned a valve on my B3 so im at at JY now pulling the aspire head, do i need anything else aspire to swap to the rocker head? Thanks guys
    Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
    Red 88festiva L 4spd
    Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

All I know is to use all Aspire roller rocker parts with its cam in order to avoid problems combining it with Festiva head parts. Something about the Aspire rollers wearing down the Festiva cam, I think?

Best check that out with someone here who knows for sure.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

My plan is to put the compete aspire head on there, does this work, clearance wise, manifold lines up?
      Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Yup ! You will be fine . Just be sure to keep the rockers with the original cam . That's the only dif . Good luck .
        New build on the way .

Comment

Thank you,
          Ordered gasket set, swapping this saturday, doing aspire break swap while im at it, buy new wheels right now :-)
          Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Hope for you this is an EFI to EFI swap because otherwise you'll have to deal with a missing fuel pump lobe on the Aspire cam. You will discover that an Aspire valve cover uses a different gasket than a Festy one so don't bother trying to do that swap while you're at it. Covers look to be identical, except for a couple of wire loom and tab bolt holes, but they aren't and the gaskets are not interchangeable.

Comment

Mine needs a complete new head. its a 91 so would just swapping the whole head work? im new to this and the orginal head is a lot harder to find then the aspire heads. do they bolt right up?

Comment

Will the Festiva valve cover work on the aspire head? Is there any clearance issues common to the lifters?

Comment

Originally posted by teejbmx View Post
                  Mine needs a complete new head. its a 91 so would just swapping the whole head work? im new to this and the orginal head is a lot harder to find then the aspire heads. do they bolt right up?
                  Yes, just swap the whole head and bolt all of your festiva stuff to it.

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
                  Will the Festiva valve cover work on the aspire head? Is there any clearance issues common to the lifters?
                  Yes, the festiva valve cover will work. No, there won't be issues.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Sweet! Thx for taking the time to answer. I am getting a lot of lifter noise

Comment

The lifter noise is probably coming from a failure of hydraulic lash adjusters, which is fairly common in festivas.
                      The Festiva Store
                      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
                        The lifter noise is probably coming from a failure of hydraulic lash adjusters, which is fairly common in festivas.
                        The lifter noise is coming from the recently installed aspire head. Sorry for not clarifying that.

Comment

try running some seaform thru the engine.

Comment

better yet.
                            did you give the new head a dissassemble and thourough clean before reinstall?
                            that dawn power dissolver is awesome when it comes to cleaning your engine

and if it is the lifters i just recently bought a set for my aspire for $37 including shipping which was pretty cheap and they were brand new.
                            also new felpro valve cover gasket $15, 8 all new grade 8 valve cover bolts $5.

if it is the lifters it should be a cheap and easy fix.
                            also maybe if someone is interested i have the old used lifters out of my aspire still floating around.
                            they are still good they pump up and hold pressure.
                            i thought they were the source of the knocking/ticking sound, but after replacing them all,
                            i found out they were still in good shape :-/ and the sound was coming elsewhere.

if by chance your interested in the lifters i have floating around.
                            id ship them to you for the cost of shipping what like $10
                            they were removed at 119k well maintained miles.
                            you may be able to mix and match most of mine with a few of yours to getg that silence your looking for.

i just dont like throwing out parts that still have life left in them
                            when our parts keep getting discontinued and harder to find,
                            and members on here tend to need things that arent nearby ya know?
                            Last edited by rmoltis; 05-04-2014, 05:10 PM.
                            Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

I installed a "reconditioned" head from the bay. It was very clean and actually looked pretty good (to the untrained eye at least) As far as the lifters, I guess I am willing to learn to replace them, maybe it will silence the top end some..

Comment

Working...
                              X