g series 5th gear plate mod :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g series 5th gear plate mod :)

Got it back today from Ferdi. Thanks dude. Plate installed but with no internals.

-Bryant

From a some very knowledgeable g-series guys "this is the 2nd weakest link in the g series tranny next to the diff". I hope I never find out the 3rd and 4th since I will have at least 1 and 2 covered.
    Last edited by Gomez; 04-25-2014, 09:04 PM.
    -Bryant

Comment

Neat. I always thought 3rd gear was the weaker link.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

That is one of the things this plate helps to fix. It keeps tolerances tighter on both shafts so gear mesh remains more consistent. Next step would be replace 3rd and 4th gear sets with those from Par, but at $2 g's each I don't think so. Was contemplating it but decided to tone my engine build down a bit. Now I shouldn't need to. lol
        -Bryant

Comment

I think M Factory is doing a "group buy" on 3rd 4th and 5th gears right now on another forum. Been a long thread and most are losing interest because of all the logistics and what not. MUCH cheaper though. $1000 for the whole set of 3. If the buy does happen I will for sure be in for a set down the road. IIRC they are 5-600 hp rated.

G-series tranny that could hold 500+ hp....freakin' aye right !!!

This is the "buy" thread

This is the original thread
          -Bryant

Comment

Since most cars that came with a G series trans are quite a bit heavier than a Festiva, I think you probably have very little to worry about with the plate mod and the diff. Do yourself a favor and run a sprung clutch disk as well. I also favor full weight, but precision balanced, BP miata flywheels. Lightened flywheels really don't translate to much when the ponies meet the pavement, but they do allow more dangerous harmonics to fatigue gear sets. I often wonder how many of these blown transmissions could have been avoided with simple engineering. I run a Mazda Motorsport Miata clutch with a full weight balanced flywheel and have pounded the tranny through the gears for more track miles than I can count (stopped counting at 40K) without a problem to speak of. This tranny had 160K on it when I pulled it from the capri and it was driven by a high school kid before I got it. Also, I like to run 20/50wt valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil. I find it practically eliminates the brass dust in the fluid and the shift quality is excellent.
            Great to see a good ol' "no expense spared" build. Keep it up!
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-27-2014, 02:50 AM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thanks^, I was wondering about the flywheel too. Thinking more in terms of idle issues with a hot cam or driveability at lower rpm's. not to mention that Fidanza wheel is $450. Also good to know on the harmonics too. I will check into the Miata flywheel for sure. Also, is 300-500 lbs really that much difference in tranny handling the power? Honest question since I don't have much much experience with trannies (both kinds if you know what I mean lol)
              -Bryant

Comment

I was telling Eurotiva a few weeks ago. I'm still on the same trans I swapped into my car. I believe it's because I always run a cheap clutch lol. It saves the trans in the long run. When you drop the clutch it slips ever slightly I bet, and saves those gears. The sprung hub helps too. I say cheap but I mean just not a very powerful clutch. I'm sure I'm around 160k on my g-series no grinds or noises always shifts smooth. The new bushings are stiff though.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Awesome info guys. I am feeling better already.

Sprung clutch and BP Miata fw with some precision balancing. Sweet.
                  -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                    Also, is 300-500 lbs really that much difference in tranny handling the power? Honest question since I don't have much much experience with trannies (both kinds if you know what I mean lol)
                    There are several factors that make 500-1000 lbs more car a big difference. 1. extra weight=extra stress, simple enough. 2. Extra weight over the drive wheels means more force is required to break the tires loose. 3. Larger diameter tires multiply the strain placed on the driveline by the extra weigh and force required to break the tires looset. 4. Most of the transmission issues that I have read about have been with the G-series transmissions bolted to larger 4 cylinder engines (bp, or F series). Not often do we see problems with them being turned by a b6t. This isn't only because of the added torque. Inline 4 cylinder engines with 180 degree crankshafts develop some nasty harmonics in 2 different rpm ranges. These harmonics are greater the larger the displacement of the engine. This is why many 4 cylinder engines larger than 1.6L have balance shafts. These harmonics will lay waste to driveline components faster than HP will. Think of it like an impact gun hammering on your gears. This is the theory behind proper flywheel mass and sprung disks. Also, as Mike said, a little clutch slip can help things stay happy. Many modern sport bikes have clutches that are designed to slip a little between shifts for this reason. The trick is finding a clutch that slips just the right amount and then grips. Whatever clutch setup Eurotiva is using must work well.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Great info! Somehow my e series lasted me pretty long and I would pound that thing daily! I think my clutch saved me tho too haha. What you guys think of a Sprung Spec stage 3 6 puck with a 9lb fidanza flywheel and Im running 165/45/15 on 15x7. I even filled it up with the 20w 50 synthetic Valvoline motor oil that Advancedynamix said to do. Lmk the feedback on this setup? thanks

Comment

Where does one get this plate mood done, and how much is it's cost

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

is this the guy, ferdi? http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...gear-plate-mod

Comment

Just to bring this back I just spoke to Ferdi and he said within the next month he will be making another batch of plate mods so if you're interested you might want to contact him on club protégé or through Facebook club protégé
                            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

yes guys. His work is topnotch.

Mark, Sorry I couldn't have been more help to ya. I was trying but the guy was just an unusually slow responder.

Ferdi is great though. I have probably 20+ email conversations with him.
                              -Bryant

Comment

Working...
                              X