electric motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric motors

Has anyone contemplated installing separate electric motors on each wheel?

Comtemplated the idea, but do not have the technical expertise to make it happen!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Sure have. Very interested in making a push / pull setup in a Festiva. Leave the gas motor in the front and supplement it with electric in the rear. You would end up with a daily driver that gets good gas mileage and if you used both engines (Especially if you had a BP in the front) you could have potential for a fairly quick car.

Using jackshafts, gears and chains to connect the electric motors to the rear wheels is probably the easiest option.

A little more work (Or is it?) would be to install the rear diff out of a 323 AWD and then cut a hole in the floor and let the electric motor turn the input using a chain and gears.

Would love to see more talk about this topic! Everything electric is getting cheaper and cheaper, and as these things start showing up in wrecking yards we can start getting some great deals on cool combos.

Here is an example of what can be done on a budget. Keep in mind, this is OLD so better and cheaper options are now out there.

- Form should follow function...

Comment

Thought of it? Sure. Figured out how big a motor on each wheel would equate to how much HP, or whatever? Nope.
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

It's a great idea. Max torque from the getgo, and high RPM mean no transmission needed. I've thought about a lot of possibilities, but funds and time and location always hold me back from stuff like this.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

An interesting little video for making the power go to the wheels with electric using a powerglide transmission.

Here's a brief 10 minute video that gives a nice overview of the EV West 2 speed Powerglide transmission that runs without a torque converter direct drive to...
            - Form should follow function...

Comment

Wasn't there someone on Ecomodder that installed a Prius engine/trans + battery in an 80's MR2 or some such nonsense? Maybe he only installed the engine/trans combo, and the wiring for it to run at either 1.5L or 750cc (I think using a Yaris ECU?).

I dunno, I might be way off base. Would love to buy a wrecked Prius, cut it up, fab up a way to shove it in a Festiva, and enjoy the rest of my life.
              White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
              White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
              1988 LX 5-speed
              ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Sorry about digging around old threads, just trying to catch up!! So I found this photo on the internet and figured one of you was up to something ? I did a search and got two years worth of reading material and this thread about 2 pages in. Whats up with this ?

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                X