Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was that simple air intake mod ?

sup peeps...

awhile ago i was reading on a thread somewhere that one simple mod that can be done to the air intake is cut a hole on the bottom of the box and seal the hole that's on the side of it.

i lost the page that had that info and did a search for it here but cant find anything about it..

anyone know what mod I'm talking about and a quick procedure of how to do it?

if you take out the air box, you will see the teenie tiny air snorkel riveted on., thats the side to cut, just take a whizz-wheel and cut out this side, of the airbox, takes about 10 seconds and does make a big improvement.

Comment

I did that to my car shortly after I bought it. I have never really noticed any improvement in performance or gas mileage from it but it sounds alot cooler when you really step on it
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

hmmm so thats it then huh? is there a particular size the hole should be ?

is it the bigger the better or not to big?

Comment

could just get a cone filter kit online for 9$ hahah
          Ian Carr
          88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
          99' S70 T5M- faster DD
          86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

Originally posted by project b6t
            could just get a cone filter kit online for 9$ hahah
            ill check it out

Comment

Or you could do whats some have done on here, including myself, and that is cut a hole in the bottom of the air box and attach a dryer tube or some wire cored mandrel bend 3" generator vent hose off a sea king helicopter ( :lol: ) and rout it to the front bumper creating a very attractive (lol), and very poverty stricken cold air intake

Comment

funky technician, did the cold air intake seem to help w/ power or mpg?

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

It most certainly did! As a matter of fact if i crank on the throttle cable and put my hand at the end of hose, it sucks like a hover, and since the intake system will draw air from the path of least resistance that indicates that the stock inlet to the air-box was pretty restrictive, also keep in mind that I'm running a b6 head and exhaust so it breaths a little better then the stock b3, so this easy mod made a noticeable difference both in sound and performance. I don't have any mpg's yet because it doesn't go on the road till winter (November 1) so I'll let ya's know :wink:

Comment

Intake out the bumper?

I've got my cold air intake running into the wheel well with a dirt guard around it. I want to run it a diff direction and was wondering if you have a pic of your set up. Runs much better w/ the new intake. B6 head on a B3? Is there a noticeble diff? I'm blowing a littel smoke out my pipe and was thinking of getting the rings done(170,+ on orginal motor) and need advice on what I can get done and if possible who can do it around Austin TX.

Any advice is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X