Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to fwd

Let me get started by saying I have used the search... extensively
    now that thats out of the way, about three months ago I caught the festiva bug, I bought a 92 with 349k on the clock and 20k-ish on the engine... I'm used to building n/a jeeps.... my festiva is stock and I want to install a turbo next month.

well now I run into an issue, from reading on here there is all kinds of contradictions on what needs to be done, upgrading injectors or not, New fuel pump or not, all types of information with none being of much use...
    the plan is to delete the muffler, install a rear mounted turbo, pipe the air back to the air flow meter.
    delete the bottom portion of the air box and build a flange for the air flow meter, at 6-8 psi on a small turbo like one off a 89-94 eclipse, would any fuel delivery upgrades need to be done?
    There will be no intercooler, I don't want the turbo near the engine bay in order to cut down heat and save space.
    Plus, why have people be able to see it when you can surprise them on the road?
    If you are going to use any abbreviations, please define them... im New to the festiva world...
    engine swap is not an option at this time, im doing a diesel swap in a 89 jeep Comanche and dont need two engines in the shop this fall.
    thank you all ahead of time for any advice or input you can give
    "You get to have more fun driving "normal" speeds if it isn't built to be able to go around a track"

If you want to know about rear turbos, Eurotiva (Greg) is THE MAN to talk to on here!

Greg may chime in, and you may want to scan some of his threads in the mean time
    Last edited by drddan; 09-22-2014, 01:11 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

For quick and easy fuel management, everyone uses an FMU for easy fuel enrichment. It bumps fuel pressure relative to boost pressures and ensures your boosted engine has enough fuel. Google search fmu if unfamiliar. Most are successful to 7 psi of boost on stock pump

Comment

I just thought of another potential problem... Will I need to worry about the o2 sensor? Last thing I need is a dummy light coming on...

Thank you guys for your help, I will be ordering a fmu this Friday, from what I have read both with Google-fu and with reading on here 12:1 is the ratio I need
        "You get to have more fun driving "normal" speeds if it isn't built to be able to go around a track"

Comment

Yup a 12:1 is a great place to start. Put an inline pump in the fuel line under the hood, pre fuel filter. That will get you to 10 lbs safety. Make sure everything is sealed good, and a good clutch is a necessity. I'll be glad to answer any questions, just remember rear turbo doesn't work lol
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

What about it doesn't work? It will still be performing the same task, just a little farther away and a lot cooler and no intercooler so less chances for leaks/failure. My reason for boosting is not to race, if that was the case I would do a swap. All I am trying for is a little help in traffic and a little more push on the back roads.

Comment

It was sarcasm, look at his sig
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Sorry, im on the app, signatures dont show up

Comment

What psi range of an inline pump would you recommend?

Comment

It really depends on how you believe series fuel restrictors work. One camp believes that the formula is (base pressure)+(boost x fmu gain). The other camp believes that it's (boost x fmu gain) as long as that number is greater than or equal to the base pressure. Base pressure is around 43psi.

Comment

Isn't the festiva pump the same as the Xr2 capri?
                      Na capri too. At least it is the same part number for the replacement pump. And the Xr2 of rocket mans has been to 19 psi on the stock pump. . Not saying the extra pump isn't needed or a good idea because I have no boosted experience just was wondering.
                      Last edited by william; 09-22-2014, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redroket View Post
                        Sorry, im on the app, signatures dont show up
                        Eurotiva's sig

-Greg
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I used a walbro inline. Rated for 125 psi. I rear turbo d my stock engine, it was a blast.
                          -Greg
                          Redneck Engineer
                          FOTY - '09
                          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Where did you mount your air cleaner? I have been kicking around a few ideas as to a good location.. including mounting one somewhere like the spare tire compartment... I have done a similar trick on a jeep by mounting an air cleaner in the glove box, but that was a completely different purpose

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

You could bring it up into the cabin, yes. But induction noise might muffle your hearing for years to come

Comment

Working...
                              X