No announcement yet.

different Engine swap (newbie inquiry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different Engine swap (newbie inquiry)

hi,

just want to ask if there is anyone that tried using a different engine other than mazda (like a vios engine for example)

what factors are to be considered in case, for a carburetor type going to efi on a kia pride?

modifications that have to be done.

inputs highly appreciated.

thanks

There's one out there with a Honda B18 I believe, you're talking about a bunch of work to swap in something other than the Mazda b series family of engines.. Short list of things.
    -Custom engine/trans mounts
    -wiring!
    -have to use whatever transmission comes with the engine you want.. Therefore custom axles will be needed, and fitment issues may be present. Have to see if its even feasible in the first place to physically fit the drivetrain in the bay.
    -they'll be a bunch of other things you'll have to change or modify to work too.. Shifter linkage, speedometer cable setup.. List goes on and on.

Not something to even think about if you don't have a good mechanical background or know people capable of doing it, no weekend project that's for sure, but not impossible.
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

It is hard to find an engine short enough to fit and powerful enough to make it worthwhile over the mazda products. Using the transmission as well shifts everything to the drivers side making the drivers cv shaft so short that suspension would be very limited in travel. There has been some VW and other small diesel conversions looking for economy and some electric cars made.

You didn't mention enough perimeters..Is it to be street legal, if so are you in what country are you in or state as emission and safety laws will place some of the limitations as well.

Welcome to the forum, tell us a little more about yourself and what you are wanting to build!!
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

There are several different motors that have been installed into Festiva's besides the B series Mazda motors.
        I've seen photos of a Festiva with a Harley motor in it, one with a Hyabusa motor in it, Damkid has a V6 in the front of his, There are Shoguns with a SHO V6 in the rear.
        What goes into your Festiva depends on your expertise and budget.
        One of mine is getting a stock rebuilt B3 (1300) and the other one is getting a rebuilt BP (1800).
        As far as the carby to EFI conversion, there is modifying the stock harness from the motor's donor car, megasquirt engine management (a standalone unit) There are other stand alone systems for use but these seem to be the ones used most often, from my observation, on Festiva's.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

thanks for all the feedbacks! well i have a kia pride and looking into the toyota vios engine since here in the philippines FC for the vios engine is very good (it would be safe to say it goes for 14+ km/L city drive and 16+ km/L hi-way drive.) compare to mazda z5 engines that is less than those (10-12 km/L city 12-14 km/L hiway) well maybe would consider also driving habits and the like...

bottom line i'm after the fuel efficiency and a little bit of power compared to the stock b1 engine that i have...

is there a mazda engine that could possible match up to the FC of the vios engine?

thanks again more power guys!

Comment

once I find a rust free shell and start/ finish my racecar zetec build im planning on doing a swap with the NEW 2.0 tdci from ford that's coming out NEXT YEAR! in the focus st 300 tourq and about 200 hp.

Comment

Working...
            X