Aspire 1.3 performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire 1.3 performance

I have my engine out and in the process of detailing it. So I thought that if possible I would add some performance also I am looking for bolt on additions I do not want to get into the engine Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Conard

K&N filter. There aren't too many, if any, bolt on performance mods for these 1.3's
    1990 Festiva L

Comment

K&N filter isn't gonna give you any more real power. You can get a dickmeyer header and adjustable fuel pressure regulator and such things but after spending $500 on bolton stuff you could have pulled the head and had it ported and what not or swap a bigger engine.

Basically its not worth it unless you put some real money into it. Enjoy it for what it is.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I thought so That for now is what I am going to do Maybe a swap in the future Thanks

Comment

For a better top-end breathing, you can cut away or drill the bottom airbox half. Even cheaper than a K&N. The other worthwhile mod is a Dickmeyer header, or even an FMS header, for a few hunnert bux. That said, if you don't want to spend a bunch of money, enjoy it for what it is, as Brad says. I do the airbox mod or a cone filter to all my cars, just on general principles for better top-end breathing, i.e. over ~4000 rpm.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Where would I purchase these even it it did not help performance It would look good I have already don the K&N Swap

Comment

found online,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Engine Mods
              This section will be based on Engine mods, for both performance and looks. The engine is a Mazda B3 (1.3 liter SOHC generating approximately 63 horses) but it will be upgraded eventually to a Mazda B6T (1.6 liter Turbo engine) which throws down a formidable 132 horses out of the box.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE

The first thing that I did to the engine of the car was a GREAT upgrade. I installed 4 Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs, and Bosch Premium Spark Plug Cables. This upgrade increased acceleration, got me better gas mileage, and makes the engine run all around better.

Next I got a new Catalytic Converter put in because the old one basicly fell off. This helped reduce exhaust noise, increased gas mileage, and increased acceleration.

The next thing that I did was install a Weapon R Dragon Filter. This required some custom work, but it looks VERY cool sitting in the engine compartment. It makes the car accelerate better, and the throttle response is a little bit crisper.

I also advanced the timing just a TINY bit. I only did a little, because I didn't have a timing light, but already I can tell that the car accelerates better, and has a little better throttle response. This is an easy upgrade, and it seems very functional. I'm sure I can advance it more, but I am going to wait until I get the necessary testing tools to make sure I don't do any damage to the engine.

Next, I had a Tuned By Matrix Racing Type III Muffler installed. Special thanks to Lentz USA on the corner of Jolly and MLK in Lansing, Michigan for helping me get this done. They not only ran 2.25 inch pipe from the cat back, they also mounted the muffler beautifully. This makes the car sound much better.
              N3WBI3

Comment

Right, forgot to mention advancing the timing. Get a timing light and do it right tho. With 14 BTDC I use premium gas; possibly mid-grade is sufficient, but I'd rather be safe. The price differential is only about 6% more than regular.

The stock intake/head/exhaust manifold can only flow so much air, so there is little to be gained via major alterations to the intake and exhaust. But that's where you will start (and end), without going into the head. Just opening up the stock airbox will probably give the intake plastic tube all the air it can handle. Putting a hugely-flowing cone filter on a stock B3 is cosmetic only. As for exhaust, too large a pipe will be counterproductive, if there is no major head work or a good header. About 2.0" might be optimal for a 1.3, I'm guessing, but I'm sure someone has done some studies of this.
                Last edited by TominMO; 09-29-2014, 06:32 PM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                X