Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 Ford Festiva 1.5L Air Intake Inquiry

Howdy all,

I own a 1998 Ford Festiva GLXI and I recently modded the air intake slightly.

Firstly, I removed the entire air box to have a look at the hunk of plastic that was connected to it which extended
    from the air box towards the front if the engine bay and turned towards the fender. I thought I could help the
    car breath a little easier by removing the three screws the held that plastic "restrictor" onto the air box and chucking it out. Lol. I have noticed that the Festiva now uses a little less fuel (became apparent because I drive long distances) has a bit better acceleration and can climb hills a tad easier.. As well as a cool growling noise as I put my foot down. >

I was wondering if I should whip out a saw and cut a bigger hole in the intake box (only on the front of the box) just to get a little more air? I didn't want to slap on a pod filter and take the air box out of the equation because of the potential of being defected. I know a cold air intake would be best but seeing as the air box is towards the front of the car, the air from outside would rush in and the hot air from the engine is unable to affect it seeing as the only entry point is on the front of the air box. Sorry about the mass of writing for something so simple.

Thanks,
    Zak.
    Last edited by Deicide47; 11-14-2014, 07:47 AM.

Okay Zak, where are you/
    Down under?
    Let us see a pic of your air box.
    We didn't get '98 Festivas.
    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

So are your goals fuel economy, or power

Comment

Yeah, I am from "down under". The Ford Aspire you guys have over in America is similar in design to the Festiva here in Australia except mine is a five-door and it has the bigger 1.5L. The air boxes are fairly similar in design. Here is the piece I took out. I'll get a picture of the box soon. I'm leaning more towards power.
        Attached Files

Comment

Haha, I remember that part. Mine was stuffed full of some squirrels winter stash

Comment

Here is the air box and a picture of the 1.5L Festiva engine bay. Pretty sure the motor is a Mazda B5.
            Attached Files

Comment

Okay, i don't know what size filter fit , but if ya'll have(I'm sure you do) K&N filters find the correct size.
              Take the air box & drill multiple holes in the bottom , that should help your engine breath a little better.

I don't know too much on the Aspires, some of our members will speak up.

Welcome to the fourm.
              If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Okay, thanks for the advice. I could invest in a K&N drop-in filter but they are closer to $100 over here but it is cheap in comparison to other mods. When I have some spare time, I'll pull out the air box and extend the hole so it can breathe easier. The pod/cone filter is pretty much illegal over here. If you get caught with one they will give you a nice fine and a defect notice.

Comment

I was looking at those Festivas on Ebay Australia and can't believe how reasonably priced they are.Rust free also,makes me kinda jealous.You guy got a lot of neat options that you don't see in the US.

Comment

Yeah, Australia is a desert almost all year round so rust isn't as much of an issue unless it is an older car.

Comment

A fine for air filters?

Comment

Originally posted by rickbz28 View Post
                        I was looking at those Festivas on Ebay Australia and can't believe how reasonably priced they are.Rust free also,makes me kinda jealous.You guy got a lot of neat options that you don't see in the US.
                        Yes like an engine that actually has some displacement LOL
                        Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                        A fine for air filters?
                        Yes they are very strict on any modifications.
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Anyways, does anyone like my idea of modding the stock air box seeing as I can't replace it with a pod?

Comment

Yeah. Do it. Should make some fun induction sounds

Comment

LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X