Sensors on transmission.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensors on transmission.

I am in the progress of installing the new B6, and I ran into a question. When I pulled the transmission, I see there are two sensors on it. The rear one seems to have a wire cut, and it's been that way for a while. What sensor is this? Both of them look like the same sensor.

On the front, wires intact.

In the rear, one wire was broken off, I cut the other.
    OX SMASH!!

your "front" one is the reverse light switch

the "rear" is the fifth gear switch

Comment

What's the reason for a 5th gear switch?

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I had to put another 5 speed in mine and one is the reverse light switch and the other one i didnt have hooked up, every time i pushed the clutch in it would idle real high, when i hooked the sensor back up it quit idleing high when i pushed the clutch in.

Comment

I think I'm just going to leave it unplugged. I'm planning on replacing the transmission soon anyway, and it will come with a new switch.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

Ok, so I finaly took the time to look it up in the 1989 Ford Shop Manual.
            As stated before the front one is the Backup Lamp Switch.
            The back one is called the 'Fourth Gear Switch' in one place and the 'Fourth Gear Shift Indicator Light Switch' in another, maybe it keeps the shift light from coming on once you get into fourth gear.

Jeff
            ~Jeff
            1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
            1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
            2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

My car doesn't have a shift light, I didn't think it was even an option.

That would explain why I never noticed a difference.
              OX SMASH!!

Comment

I think the idiot (W/O tach) cluster had the shift light 4 economy
                It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

my manual calls the one in the back a 1/2 shift sensor.
                  91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
                  93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
                  1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
                  1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

When I changed my trans, I plugged the sensors back in, and the reverse lights wont work now, Any ideas??

Comment

Working...
                    X