Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Help

Howdy.
    I'm looking to throw on a cat-back exhaust system onto my B5 engine. She puffs out a whopping 55kw and barely has enough torque to operate my window winder so I was thinking a 2 inch system was big enough. My stock exhaust is 1.5 inch. At one point I was thinking of slapping on a 2.5 inch but it may be overkill.
    Any suggestions? What do you run on your sorta similar Festys?
    Thanks. :3

I have a full exhaust
    Everything from the head back and it is all 2" in and out all over.
    Except for the header primaries of course .
    I have the 1.3l engine and It brought me up to an estimated 75hp.
    I also think I still have room to accommodate more airflow as modifications keep coming.
    Just remember your header primary tubes determine exhaust gas velocity before entering the main exhaust stream.
    So if your looking to free up more ponies, just going cat back doesn't do much I tried that route first.

I would suggest making a plan on what you want.
    Write it all down.
    Then do some research on the science involved to help gain an understanding of what you would enjoy.
    because with the understanding comes the knowledge of knowing which answer to choose when confronted with a question relative to your project / application.
    Then buy all the necessary parts muffler, resonator, cat, 02 sensors, header, manifold gaskets.

Then once you have everything you need and have been looking at it for so long
    that a voice coming from inside the stack of new boxes.
    it is telling you its time to put these new parts together and install them on your vehicle.
    And for some reason you just can't say no to this voice.
    That is when you're ready.

That is at least how I approach each task I go in for.
    I don't get many things done through time.

but the things I have done. I have done completely % 100 with new parts and by the book.
    Which usually leaves those areas good for a few years.
    Plus it allows you time to accumulate parts. Buying one part at a time is nice because you can buy the nicest version.
    Since you just have more time to wait on purchasing the next parts.
    Last edited by rmoltis; 01-23-2015, 11:41 PM.
    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Okay, cool! ^_^ That sounds like a good idea, rmoltis.
      I just needed a second opinion on what size to go because a cat-back system is different to upsizing the whole system like you have pretty much done.
      I'm going to visit my mechanic tomorrow to discuss options/prices with him. I'd do the work myself but I don't have money for the equipment and he barely charges me for labour.

Going a bit off-topic, what mods have you done to your Aspire apart from the exhaust?

Comment

If your just talking power adders.
        The custom header and 2"in/out full exhaust.
        An adjustable fuel pressure regulator
        And a drop in k&n filter.

All other non power related mods would be in my build thread here

Id say try and match the exaust size pre catalytic converter.
        then have the rest behind that (post cat)to the muffler tip up sized to match.
        That would give you what you were looking for while not sacrificing drivability.

A word of advice when having your cat back bent up keep a resonator on there.
        the resonator helps the air expand to rid pressure pulses in the air stream.
        And helps air move more neatly out the tailpipe.

But it also cleans up the sound quite a bit.
        if your worried about restrictions from the stock reflection type resonator.
        then i would suggest getting a free flowing straight flow perforated core resonator.
        for example magnaflow sells them and i got the bigger version of this guy.
        but here is the 14" long version 2" in and out

MagnaFlow manufactures the best exhaust systems, mufflers, pipes and catalytic converters; now being sold directly from our website! We proudly manufacture products in the USA using premium components and the latest technology. Voted 2017 SEMA Manufacturer of the Year!

heres the 18" version
        MagnaFlow manufactures the best exhaust systems, mufflers, pipes and catalytic converters; now being sold directly from our website! We proudly manufacture products in the USA using premium components and the latest technology. Voted 2017 SEMA Manufacturer of the Year!

I went with all magnaflow, and they are quality products.
        You should be able to find either one of those resonators for $80 or less online with free shipping.

Comment

Thanks heaps for the help! I never really looked into Magnaflow but they are really reasonable on price. I may get a high flow cat and match up the exhaust size pre-cat later down the track as I build up more of a budget for car mods. Lol. I've done an intake mod where I've removed the snorkel bit off the air box and cut out the front and fender side of the air box to free it all up. Its no longer running out of breath in the mid to high RPMs. You could pair that up with your setup and I'm certain you'll notice a difference seeing as you've pretty much freed up the exhaust side of things. It has the advantages of a proper CAI without the cost, plus it looks stock if the authorities are tough where you live. I'm excited already about my exhaust upgrade. Lol
          Last edited by Deicide47; 01-24-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I've experimented a lot with the stock air box with the k&n 33-2222 in my 1.3l
            tried removing the snorkel and widening the holes.
            Tried using a k&n cone filter.
            Also tried the stock air box with a stock filter.

The options that opened up the air intake made power above 4k rpms.
            So it made more power up there but lost a lot down in the lower rpms where I cruise most of the time.
            After having both those options for almost a year each. That way I could get a feel for things.
            I made the switch back to the stock box with the drop in filter just for testing.
            and right away I had much more low rpm torque like 2k rpms up.
            and I still had enough power up in the 5k+ range still
            I'm sure if you did enough testing the stock air box would flow more than enough to supply the engine with more air .

start with a full tune up and a drop in k&n air filter 33-2222 is the one.
            Last edited by rmoltis; 01-24-2015, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I did notice a drop in lower RPM torque but it was only up until 2k rpm which I'm fine with. It must have more of an impact on the B3 with the lower RPM torque loss. D:

I was going to try a cone filter but my maf is in the top of the stock air box whereas the Aspires have it after the air box from what I've seen online. Plus it was only going to suck up hot air unless I changed its position. Too much fiddly stuff (without a proper CAI kit) so I explored the air box modification path. Lol. I'm happy you found what works with the B3 engine. ^_^ We have to trial and error seeing as the Festiva/Aspire aren't exactly in the "scene" and there isn't loads of info out there.

Comment

Working...
              X