Stock Festiva "Short Shifter" How-To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Festiva "Short Shifter" How-To

This takes a stock Festiva shift lever and turns it into a "short throw" shifter. I removed 1.75" from the top and added about 9/16" to the bottom. My measurements are not "exact" since this is not an exact science, just a plain old shifter turned into a performer. The write up is in the pics. Remember the lower section is offset so be sure to orient it correctly before you weld it back on. I bent mine on the upper section a bit, after test fitting, to make it a tad more custom. It actually fits my arm length and seat position perfectly now.

This is right after blasting. I would guess I have about an hour and fifteen minutes to this point. Could be done a bunch quicker but that was with pictures, writing, and such. Now it's off to the powdercoater or paint whichever you decide lol. I prefer powder.

Last edited by Gomez; 03-30-2015, 09:53 PM.
    -Bryant

It looks like you used a piece of threaded rod in between each of the sections you took out, is that right?

Comment

nice job, looks very nice

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Yes. Just threaded a bolt in and cut it off.
        -Bryant

Comment

PMed. Great job with the pics.
          Last edited by TominMO; 03-31-2015, 07:42 AM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Sweet! Repped.

Awe man, won't let me rep you.
            Last edited by sketchman; 03-31-2015, 09:13 AM.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Installed my eBay Honda short shifter yesterday in my Festy (Bryant's will go in my Aspire). Man, what a difference! If you drive your Festy at all sporty, you gotta get a short shifter! Now I can't wait to get some Formoza FD1s on it (165/55-14) and do something with the rear suspension (DIY coilovers).

Bryant, you should make a cottage industry of modding the stock shifters. I can send you some stock ones so you have a few in stock. Maybe do a core charge so future customers will send you their old ones.
              Last edited by TominMO; 03-31-2015, 02:40 PM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

That would be a nice and easy way to help members but I have to come up with a fair price.
                -Bryant

Comment

were the lengths you added and subtracted based on some existing aftermarket short shifter? would there be any advantage to leaving the bottom unwelded and using locknuts on the threaded rod to be able to make the short throw adjustable?

Comment

I had a civic shifter a few years back. Can't remember if I copied the measurements or if I changed them to suit my setup. Probably made to suit I would guess. I no longer have a civic one to compare.

I see no reason why the threaded section couldn't be made to accept jam nuts. Though the tubing the shaft itself is made of is very inconsistent in its size. I've had to use anywhere from a 4mm to a 6mm bolt on the lower section. I have one at the house now that the hole is too big for a 6mm but is too thin to do an 8mm.
                    Last edited by Gomez; 03-31-2015, 05:34 PM.
                    -Bryant

Comment

For the one that is too thin you could weld in a piece of rod and thread it.

Comment

I did this to Pedro's shifter today, except I didn't shorten the top part at all. I like the shifter to be as close to the steering wheel as possible so I might make a custom long and straight shifter down the road. Great write up Bryant! Also, very nice fab work!
                        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-01-2015, 12:54 AM.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Honestly, if someone knew the dimensions of the ball, it wouldnt be hard to make that entire thing in a lathe (30deg tool), weld the sleeve at the bottom, and then bend the whole thing.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I could probably dig one up if you wanted another shifter too. Just let me know.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Definitely Matt I'll take it. I am trying to get a few of the bushings and rubber seals to offer with the ones I make. I am thinking I will try and make about 5 of them or so. We'll see how it works out. This will be a drop in bolt on replacement.
                              -Bryant

Comment

Working...
                              X