Quad turbo.. Any chance on a B6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad turbo.. Any chance on a B6.

I have a mad idea for ultimate winability.. And feel free to flame, whatever you like, but having brag rights on this would certainly be something to behold and say 'well actually you can'...

A quad turboed B6

Call me crazy, but would it work and if anyone can tell me why not, I'd be sure interested to discuss it.

Ok, my idea goes like this.

Instead of using stock exhaust header, create a custom header which enable turboes to be mounted on 45 degree angles instead of opposing engine/transmission direction, followed up with some custom oil cooling pipes which would either interconnect turbo piping for cooling or custom a set of pipes for each turbo to return to engine via an oil cooler mounted side on or perhaps grafted into one of the panels, guarded by a heavy custom made inner metal wheelarch and vacuum cooled by the motion of the wheel instead of the intake.

And GO...
    Last edited by jhntu; 05-08-2015, 12:29 AM.

Okay, "Gary" … just do it and let us know how it works, okay?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Do it!!!! OMG it will be so cool. Can't wait for pics.

Comment

lol.
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Here ya go. I remember seeing this way back when. Quad turbo 4.6 cougar.

Too bad most of the pics are long gone.

Either way. Stupid.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Hey, dream big. Why not inline turbos for each cylinder? Eight turbos.

But realistically, you can't get the full potential of even one turbo without doing head work/cam first.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

There have been several quad turbo inline 4s. Tiny turbos mounted right to the head flange. I'm not sure about your oil cooling theory, but I'd encourage you to try it if you have faith in it.
              Quad turbines are theoretically beneficial if you can optimize the turbine for your flow requirements. I've always wanted to build a charger with head casted turbines and a common shaft with a single compressor on the side of the head. This would simplify all the plumbing and would eliminate the unequal turbine speed issues associated with separately mounted turbines. If Rocketman moves down to Phoenix, maybe we can work on that.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                Okay, "Gary" … just do it and let us know how it works, okay?
                Oh my John that was funny!
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Ok maybe, the oil cooling via wheel arch was a bit limited to the cause..

Perhaps i need a bit of schooling regarding the cooling idea advanced.. To prevent 'cooking classes'.. I'd love to hear your feedback.

What i meant was by having the intercooler in the wheelwell was by driving you're essentially sucking air through the intercooler from an area that generates a continuous maximum cool air zone, with only a minimum risk of water (which unless your cooler gets drowned) actually utilizes a way to actually cool the intercooler by sucking water off the road onto the intercooler.

Here is proof that it actually works..

For a start..

Then this.

So combine the both..

Omfg.. A person has a theory..

I can't see a bad idea with this at all.. It just seems like some people seem.to think it's not possible.. I've read plenty of forums and even seen projects like 'project binky' and yet you guys seem to limit our ability to this cars 'current configuration'.. After all, there is like a million ways to skin a cat, just seems some wanna use the same old blunt knife.
                  Last edited by jhntu; 05-08-2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I say go for it I read an article on rear turbos and saw one in person and decided to do my car
                    -Greg
                    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                    Redneck Engineer
                    FOTY - '09
                    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Thanks euro.. I think i will..

Comment

Here is some more inspiration..

So if this doesn't get you thinking.. Then what,

We don't have enough room..

Make room.. I'm sure that compared to a 2.5l plus turbo minus the 0.9 litres it can be done..
                        Last edited by jhntu; 05-08-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Finding 4 identical turbos that are sufficient size, is going to be interesting...and expensive

Supplying oil to them is also going to be interesting

As will the sheer fab work of fitting and plumbing them

Isn't there a pretty drastic loss in efficiency when you have only one exhaust pulse going through a turbo?

A pile of turbos on the front of your engine is going to be colossally heavy, and in an area where the weight is going to have a much higher penalty
                          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Then balance the weight.. Use a a little shorter in the back, but stiffer in the front..

The whole idea guys.. We are on the earth for a good time.. Not a long time.. I love to party.. So on the track, drive it it like its the best thing you've driven and pretend you stole it..

Now whilst you're taking that in,

Think of this.

Last edited by jhntu; 05-08-2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhntu View Post
                              Ok maybe, the oil cooling via wheel arch was a bit limited to the cause..

Perhaps i need a bit of schooling regarding the cooling idea advanced.. To prevent 'cooking classes'.. I'd love to hear your feedback.

What i meant was by having the intercooler in the wheelwell was by driving you're essentially sucking air through the intercooler from an area that generates a continuous maximum cool air zone, with only a minimum risk of water (which unless your cooler gets drowned) actually utilizes a way to actually cool the intercooler by sucking water off the road onto the intercooler.

Here is proof that it actually works..

For a start..

Then this.

So combine the both..

Omfg.. A person has a theory..

I can't see a bad idea with this at all.. It just seems like some people seem.to think it's not possible.. I've read plenty of forums and even seen projects like 'project binky' and yet you guys seem to limit our ability to this cars 'current configuration'.. After all, there is like a million ways to skin a cat, just seems some wanna use the same old blunt knife.
                              The wheel well idea is very common. Porsche has been doing that with it's radiators since 1996. VW, Mitsubishi, Saab and many many more companies use low pressure wheel well to draw through a bumper mounted intercooler ( or 2, like a B5 Audi v6 biturbo). It works well and is a good way to avoid heat soak from your radiator.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X