Questions about Rear turboing a B6 SOHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Rear turboing a B6 SOHC

Looking to start piecing together a rear-turbo setup for my 1st gen B6.

First off, I would like to know what would be a good easy to find turbo, and what cars to find them off of?

Second, what would be the best, cost effective lines to use for the oil lines.

Third, would PVC piping from a hardware store be any good to use?

Fourth, How do I use the FMU to keep it from leaning out at 8PSI?

Fifth, Is there any difference between an Adjustable FPR, and a FMU?

Sixth, Do I need an upgraded fuel-pump for 8PSI of boost?

Seventh, Will a B6T oil pan fit a B6 SOHC? This is just to avoid having to tapping my own drain in the stock oil pan. Or any oil pan off another engine that has a turbo drain.

Eighth, What t-fitting do I need that will fit in the oil pressure switch hole, so I can run an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and the oil feed line?

I will ask more questions when I can think of them. lol
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

May I ask...why rear turbo? I mean its not a bad idea and obviously works but it seems like ever since Greg had success with it everyone's all omg rear turbo. Do you have AC in the car or something?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Pretty much any stock turbo off a 4 cyl car would work well for you.

I used brake line for my oil feed.

No PVC. Aluminum intercooler piping is easy enough to get. You can get longer pieces too.

An oil pump is insurance. Just do it.

The oil pressure hole is a metric thread. Greg told me a pipe thread fitting will go in with effort but I'd rather just either adapt. Charlie pointed out on the oil pump housing behind the alternator is a plugged port that is actually 1/4 npt. I used it for my gauge sender but had to get a longer alt belt for clearance.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I understand why, space and less fab. But to answer your questions. ...

1. A b6t turbo works great, and people here get rid of them cheap.

2. The cheapest lines I have found to use are roles of brake line tubing from the auto parts store they sell them in a 25 foot roll for about $20. 1/8th for the feed, 5/16 for the return.

3. I used PVC pipe on my first set up it worked but I would not recommend it.

4. The way I did it was add a Walbro inline fuel pump under the hood before the fuel filter to support the extra pressures needed.

5. Yes there is a difference between a fuel pressure regulator and a fuel management unit. And there is such thing as a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, aka stock. 1:1.

6. I would recommend it although I was able to run a stock Festiva fuel pump for quite some time up to 10 psi

7. I think it would, but you will have to grind the passenger side of the oil pan for the axle clearance.

8. There's a few options for this. There's a few oil feeds on the engine. I used a 1/8th npt into the stock pressure switch location. Works great.

Good luck with your project, wherever your turbo may be.
        Last edited by eurotiva; 05-20-2015, 03:32 PM.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

When and if I do this, I'm cutting my spare tire holder and flipping it upside down, so I can sit the turbo up out of the way of debris.

Comment

There is room enough to hide one without doing that
            -Greg
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09

Comment

You could just cut a muffler and put the turbo in there.
              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                There is room enough to hide one without doing that
                Have you ever checked air Temps at your turbo and up by the throttle? I'm curious how much cooler it is just from the piping

Comment

I haven't, but my turbo only gets to around 500*, hottest I've seen the iat is 178*
                  -Greg
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09

Comment

500 degrees where?

Comment

Questions about Rear turboing a B6 SOHC

The exhaust housing

I've seen mine go up to around 700
                      Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 05-22-2015, 11:04 AM.
                      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. It's allot of help, and I appreciate it.

I wonder if it just would be easier to give the turbo its own little oil tank, separate from the engine's oil. Like mount it and the pump inside the spare wheel well, with an inline filter or something?

Comment

I had thought about that as well I had plans of fabing one to fit behind the rear panel like we're the wiper tank went but I was concerned about heat.

Comment

The problem with the separate oil tank is it requires a high pressure pump to float the journal bearings inside the center section of the turbo.

It would either require a big sump or a low pressure pump on the drain side of the turbo.

With front mounted turbos the exhaust housing can often get to a thousand plus degrees
                            Last edited by eurotiva; 05-22-2015, 05:48 PM.
                            -Greg
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09

Comment

Now if I just wanted to cure a lean condition caused by the limits of ECU under boost.

Could I run bigger injectors? use a different ECU and VAF? or any combination of those 3 things?
                              Last edited by TorqueEffect; 05-23-2015, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X