parts list for budget b3 turbo build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parts list for budget b3 turbo build.

Well I picked up another festiva.. this time it's rust free(even the underside..and this is a minnesota car!) and is a 93 with efi.

I know it's a longshot and that budget and turbo don't mix but with all I've read so far each turbo build thread I've seen for the b3's is just a update on what they attached to what or plugged into this or that and most of the time the threads are half a decade old..

Any one that's done a turbo build on a b3 that still uses the forums able to chime in? I'm just trying to get a list together of what's needed other than the basic turbo, manifold, wastegate, aftermarket fuel pump, bigger injectors, better fuel line and all that so I have a rough estimate of what I'll need to save up/spend.. And for the most part i'm going to try and source everything second hand once i figure out what's needed to keep it relatively cheap as it's just a long term project so i can get some educational benefit from it as I'm not really concerned with making the most power I can-It's just I want to work with what I have.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 89 festevil; 08-21-2015, 10:30 PM.

Nice car!
    The stock fuel lines should flow more than enough fuel to destroy a B3, so don't worry about that. Also, you'll need a stronger clutch long before you need a higher volume fuel pump. You can probably get by with a set of miata injectors, an adjustable rising rate FPR, a wide band O2 meter and some fine tuning with the fuel pressure and AFM spring preload.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 08-22-2015, 01:04 AM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Are these by chance the stock injectors? they look like they were tampered with recently.. as two of them shot fuel past them since the o-ring was cut as if they were forced into the fuel rail on the 2 on the passenger side, i have them in order for each cyl from pass to drivers.

They're Denso injectors, but no visible part number.. i did remove the o-rings and seats because i bought new ones hoping this would solve the fuel spraying all over/ car barely running issue.. It did drive onto the trailer when i picked it up but if you werent on the throttle to get enough air it ran like a tractor, when i unloaded it and tried getting it into the garage it could barely move under its own power. I'm kind of hoping this will be enough to get it going so i can atleast move it easily because i knew i'd need to upgrade the injectors during the build but didnt want to fork out money for stock replacements just to get it to move when i'd be replacing them anyways.

EDIT: nevermind, with a quick look on ebay these seem to be the stock injectors, what year miata's injectors should I look for? I presume some refurbished ones out of one that had a b6 would be fine?

Last edited by 89 festevil; 08-22-2015, 01:57 AM.

Comment

What turbo do you plan on using? I just got a Festiva again and was looking into doing a cheap turbo and using the gt15 off of ebay which is supposed to be good for up to 100HP but im not sure what im going to do with it yet...
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

i was thinking a 14b or 16g from an eclipse due to the vast amount of them available, that and i already know i'd be using a 2g eclipse's intercooler next to the radiator unless i could fit the 1g's intercooler inbetween the bumper and core support with a little cutting.

Comment

Plenty of k03's out there cheap.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Look for the blue miata injectors. They are standard issue for 89-93 Miata 1.6L.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

If I can weigh in here...turbo-wise I'd recommend a few more easy to find options from our swedish friends.
                Mitsubishi 12b and 13b turbos from volvo 740s and 940s should spool up before the 14b or 16g...probably in line with the k03.
                Similarly the gt17 from a 2.0t saab isn't a bad place to start.
                Finally one of the two turbos on an early T6 volvo (s80)...they are kind of crap but should spool with relative haste and without much encouragement. These are also DIRT cheap on fleabay...will require you to make your own flange or adapter though.

Comment

The gt1752 from the saab 93 is a t25 flange with studs in the flange, so that should be easy to make a manifold for. That turbo is also very easy to make a downpipe for and it's waste gate is very efficient.

Comment

agreed and seconded!

on that note most of the mitsu-made volvo turbos can just about bolt right up to (after some milling) or can very easily be adapted to fit a t3 flange and sometimes have a really simple flat downpipe flange if coming from a FWD car (RWD cars have a conical flange still not bad but less simple and worse flow).

Comment

one more suggestion... one of the two Garrett gt2256 turbos off of a f01 chassis BMW with the n63 twin turbo 4.4 v8. These guys are readily available on feeBay and should just use standard Garrett rebuild parts. Advantage here is v-band turbine housing (in and out), assuming these fittings are standard (off the shelf) sizes it would make manifold and down pipe building a lot simpler.

might be a little much for a B3 but I bet it would rock the socks off of a B6 or BP

Comment

i'll probably just find what ever i can in my local scrap yards that isnt screwed and functions properly, only reason i said 16g is because theres alot of dead dsms around here due to the crank taking a stroll.. so the turbos seem to be fairly easy to score, but yeah i've only currently got a 1st gen talon's intercooler which will go in the front bumpers air dam with some cutting, and i think i can use pictures from the b6t(unless i can score a running one cheap instead ) to see where i should route my oil lines and all that. i'm not to worried if i make the b3 tap out from boosting it but i'll obviously be conservative with it, if i manage to even gain 20 horse if that with the right setup cool.. all i care about is the wow factor really and just to learn about it really... plus hks ssqv( or if a find a cheap knock off.. these things are not cheap at all...) vented to atmosphere- childish i know but hey if i'm not aiming for some power house atleast i can make a lil noise for giggles. that and working with MAP sensors- only dealt with carbs and my trucks MAF.. like fabbing up a plenum for the MAF to fit a 5.4's K&N intake onto my 5.0, my cousin is a boost freak and all of his cars have forced induction so i'll have him for guidance as long as I dont piss him off with too many questions..

so far i know i need

wideband 02 sensor- will more than likely just go with a bosche universal since i work at oreilly's and can get them for cheap

oil feed and return lines for turbo- now i'm getting to the part where i'll be confused along with where to plumb them into the block.. i only know of the one that has to be tapped into the oil pan.

fab a turbo manifold

acquire a turbo

acquire a bov

fab a catch can

miata 4 nozzle injectors(rebuilt ebay ones should be fine right?)

adjustable fpr

adjustable boost controller

might try to finagle stock intercooler piping from multiple dsms to get what i need routed for the intercooler because budget- unless friends of friends donate piping to me.

and lastly, if i'm throwing miata injectors in there, i doubt it but is there any aftermarket fuel rails that would fit?- i mean if i'm get legit intercooler piping i might aswell make it all look tidied up and clean.

any one care to list anything else off i might be missing? (just a random dumbass question but with some uhh.. mad scientist work and adapting i was wondering if a mazdaspeed 3 turbo manifold could be shoe horned on? i know were talking a whole litre difference here but damn do those cars sound good, or i'll see if my buddy can fab one up thats similar.)
                        Last edited by 89 festevil; 09-16-2015, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X