unequal length header.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unequal length header.

Alright I know i posted up a thread about just a regular header for b3 and their almost impossible to find.. well I found some one that will weld me up my exhaust any way i want given we know what to do (guys a skilled fabricator but im a broke ass that cant get a tubing bender for this mess so lots of cutting welding and exhaust wrap...)

One night after a plug wire swap i messed up the firing order and fired up the car and it was idling sounding like a subaru with a UEL header and that got me thinking.. i doubt any one has ever done it to a festiva but just for sounds sake to make people wonder what the hell im driving i'd like to fab up a UEL header for the car.. i noticed the mazdaspeed3 turbo manifold is a uel manifold (so they say- thing sounds like a scooby too) i was wondering if i tried to emulate the same design of the mazdaspeed 3's exhaust manifold if i could possibly pull the same subaru rumble out of my b3.. seen hondas with custom uel headers(theres videos on youtube of inline 4's with that subaru rumble) and figured this might work.

as no one will show how they made theirs it's incredibly hard to figure out how to go about this and the MS3 is the only manifold i've seen thats even a feasible thing to recreate so far, and the only info i have to go off is 4-2-1 for situating the piping if i went and did a whole longtube setup. i should probably go register on a honda forum just to see if some one will share some pictures which it doesnt seem anyone will at how to make it but i figured some one else on here might have already done it for giggles or something since these cars are addictive when it comes to custom modifications..
    Last edited by 89 festevil; 09-16-2015, 04:07 AM.

Lol, that would be cool. I assume you have looked up uel headers and realize you will take a power loss for the sake of awesome sound right? So since your taking a power loss anyway who cares about getting it perfect. On a honda civic a guy just took the header and welded in *a loop on the runners for 2 cylinders. Worked for him. You could also have 2 cylinders meeting the collecter like they do with the stock manifold and take the other 2 and run them all the way back to the cat and make a custom flange there.*
    Look at pics of the manifolds of cars*
    that come with uel headers stock and their firing orders. Match the firing order with the longer and shorter ones and youll be good.*
    I hope you end up doing it! That would sound nice. Another way is some guys just move the collecter to one side or the other.*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would this sell? I'd do stainless unequal length if someone paid the right price

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

stainless would cost ALOT, access to any cheaper materials? this will be going on my winter beater, as i've got a turbo project come next spring with the 93 efi i nabbed.. and i've also picked up a foxbody and have been dumping a little to much into it since it's going to be parked for the snow season while i accumulate more parts for it.. so spending a bankroll on a uel for a festiva of all cars would be like giving grandma a boobjob lol- just wouldn't make sense. if it could be done cheaply- wouldnt even have to look nice aslong as it is sealed good as function is the only thing i care about as i'd be down to buy a uel header for it given there was a test vid to hear what they sound like beforehand- and like i said the cheaper the material the better as it only needs to last a year or 2 before the car splits due to the underside rotting away.
        Last edited by 89 festevil; 11-19-2015, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89 festevil View Post
          stainless would cost ALOT, access to any cheaper materials? this will be going on my winter beater, as i've got a turbo project come next spring with the 93 efi i nabbed.. and i've also picked up a foxbody so spending a bankroll on a uel for a festiva of all cars would be like giving grandma a boobjob lol- just wouldn't make sense.
          I've found stainless weld els to be cheaper than mandrel bends of any flavor

Comment

i'd have to hear an estimate because stainless already sounds spendy as in worth 5x the car spendy just in piping- like i said they could be the most hack job looking header out there made of scrap metal aslong as its sealed up and the piping is near the correct size so i dont lose all 10 ft lbs of tq the car has lol. cause if some one's willing to do it for a reasonable price i'd buy it just for the sh*ts n giggles factor of it on a festiva.

and i've seen your other work, if you make any better flowing custom intakes for the b3 let me know, next spring i'm putting the rust free 93 on the chopping block for a ghetto turbo build- that i'll be willing to spend money on. the current red festiva right now is rotting so bad the body has already started to tweak so the less i put into it the better, every wear part has been replaced on it though it's just a shame the body is so far gone.
            Last edited by 89 festevil; 11-19-2015, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89 festevil View Post
              i'd have to hear an estimate because stainless already sounds spendy as in worth 5x the car spendy just in piping- like i said they could be the most hack job looking header out there made of scrap metal aslong as its sealed up and the piping is near the correct size so i dont lose all 10 ft lbs of tq the car has lol. cause if some one's willing to do it for a reasonable price i'd buy it just for the sh*ts n giggles factor of it on a festiva.

and i've seen your other work, if you make any better flowing custom intakes for the b3 let me know, next spring i'm putting the rust free 93 on the chopping block for a ghetto turbo build- that i'll be willing to spend money on. the current red festiva right now is rotting so bad the body has already started to tweak so the less i put into it the better, every wear part has been replaced on it though it's just a shame the body is so far gone.
              Ghetto except with good parts. Lol

Comment

more so as in ghetto as in trying to slap a 14b or 16g turbo on a b3 from a relatives and friends stockpile of dsm parts they no longer use, low boost is all i can say.

but materials wise what do you think it would cost to make a uel for a carbed b3? if it's gotta be stainless i know i'll probably cringe when i hear the price but if thats all you can get your hands on so be it.- and it can be far from professional, just if some ones willing to try and make it and the price is reasonable i'm down.
                Last edited by 89 festevil; 11-19-2015, 01:27 AM.

Comment

You'd probably enjoy an equal length header for an na car more. Since the Subaru was uel and turbo.

Comment

but it's already so slow i dont think a uel could possibly make it any slower, just if it sounds cool since thats about the only thing this rust bucket can have going for it.

and i saw the prices of the EL headers from over seas.. $300 without shipping? whoa were talking more than i paid for the rust free car all together... so i wouldnt want that on the carbfed rust bucket.

if only i had a uel honda header picture for reference for my buddy so he could do his ghettofab work i could score one for sub $150. but theres like nothing to go off of, as he has no clue as to what it will need to look like, and all i remember is the 4 2 1 pipe sequence for uel headers if i recall correctly.
                    Last edited by 89 festevil; 11-19-2015, 01:34 AM.

Comment

It's a bit more complex than that

Comment

Working...
                      X