Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap skate ebay $0.99 cent civic short shifter works GREAT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will the stock shifter knob thread on to it? I have the console with the boot so i want to keep it.
    69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
    97 Jag xk8 vert
    06 Mini Cooper S GP
    93 Stiva
    04 Volvo S80

Comment

Just installed mine in my aspire yesterday.

I had to shim where the shifter meets the linkage with 3 washer so it was tight.

Getting the center console back on was the hardest part.

Stock knob on my aspire threaded on with no problem. My boot is collasped to the max!

VERY tight. It doesn't wiggle back and forth anymore. Which is strange because I thought it was from that bushing up front.

Very firm shifting. I have to pull that thing to get it to shift.

I also had to take about a full coil off that spring that holds it in there to get it to fit back in.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

try backing off the bolt on the bottom of the shifter just a hair, thats what i did and its like budda.

Comment

got mine 49 cents plus 8.99 shipping. easy fit just cut the spring in half, very short throw but you get used to it real quick. great cheap mod.
          Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
          - Dennis Grant
          FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

reminds me mines been sitting on the shelf in the garage for a month or so now... guess what i'm going to do?
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

What year civic is it for? I gotta get one aswell.

Comment

96-99
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

did yall get the straight one or the one with the 2 bends in it?
                  1993 5 speed FI. 2-5/8" tach, short throw, muffler delete. SOLD
                  1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
                  2000 Trans Am 6 speed
                  1997 HD 1200 sportster
                  1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

Skunk 2 makes one that I have only heard good things about I might go that route, still not totally sure, if someone could please post pics it would be awesome too see what it looks like connected to the shift linkage and such.

Comment

Its pretty strait forward, and I have the one with the two bends in it.

Comment

OK, so sunday i went out to the garage to do it and spent a few hours on the mini-bike instead

last night however i finally did it. More of a pain than it should have been b/c the bolt on the bottom of my stock shifter was rather rusted.
                        I cut the spring by more than a full coil (spring about in half) and couldn't have the rubber boot on the bottom of the shifter, because that left no room at all for the spring (you'll see what i mean when you take it apart). Everything else was very easy, there are only two bolts which must be taken out for the whole project.
                        I used a $.49 blue shifter w/ the double bend. the bolt that came w/ the shifter was too short to go all the way thru the stiva linkage, so i just got a little longer one and it was good. the shifter came w/ two brass spacers which i used, as well as one extra washer. and that was it!

New vs stock:

Installed (crappy pic):

better pic:

the top of the knob is about 2" lower than before, which seems more comfortable to me and is more out of the way, and it shifts really nice!! i took it for a 'quick' joy ride this AM which lasted almost an hour and it really did make a lot of difference... probably one of the best ways to spend $10 on your car.
                        ~Nate

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I have the same identical as you skeeter. I installed it but only got to drive it around my block because I dont have my license and half of my lights dont work lol. I really noticed a difference before I even started driving it. Then when I drove it for 2 minutes max I was suprised of how well it was. Its notchy but not as notchy as the short shifter on my mustang.

The only thing that scares me is trying to bang gears, 1/8 as hard as i bang my hurst/t-5. Anyone else feel a little worried about snapping that little piece of aluminum in half??? I know I am.

I am thinking about lengthening the piece below the ball and putting it back in because I would feel a little more comfortable with steel in my hand.
                          91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                          00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
                          88 gtx
                          74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

If your shifting hard enugh to be worried about snapping 1" AL, then i'd be more worried about the trany! I deff don't have any problem with the aluminum.

i like the new shifter a lot after a few days with it. my dad said he thinks the knob sits a little too low for him. idn, seems good to me...
                            ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

i got one for a 98-00 integra... i'll see how it works out. Realized as i hit the paynow button that it said integra... o well hahaha

was only 9.48... but i can make it work

I also have the capri xr2 shift assembly in there (yeah the whole thing... had to cut out the floor board and what not :roll: ) So maybe the integra one will work to my advantage :twisted:
                              Ian Carr
                              88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
                              99' S70 T5M- faster DD
                              86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

I can't get that dang spring to stay in. I'm thinking about JB welding it in there.

I'll get it together, it will be fine for a day. Then suddenly, "DOING" and it pops out. On the aspire it's a PITA to get to because I have to remove the center console. Which is very difficult to snake that thing around the new shifter.
                                www.dantheoilman.com
                                AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                                Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                                Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
                                X