Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headers for a B3 (found some, your thoughts?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    Great info. It would be cool to see the graphs. Sometimes, space is an issue as well. 4-2-1 headers get quite lengthy, especially on a long stroke engine such as the B3.
    One thing to note as well. 4-1 headers will provide a more noticeable TQ peak than 4-2-1 design. This often feels like more HP by the seat of the pants. It also would net higher output numbers on a non load bearing inertia dyno, such as a DynoJet.

This is only advice to help the O.P. decide as he is not in a good place to order a DAE header (shipping would be very high to AUS) and there are several manufacturers closer to him that make different styles of headers for the b3/b6. I think the DAE header is probably a great value from what I've seen, so I'm not trying to discredit that product, or it's manufacturer.

I agree with your points.
    If cost is an issue I would hunt for that elusive festiva pacemaker header from aus.
    I remember the specs were almost identical to the DAE header.
    (Not saying it was copied) but rather both manufacturers seemed to have come to the conclusion at the end of their research.
    That those header specs seemed to be the ideal form.

If you can find it, it would the ideal option (in my opinion).
    Its the aussie DAE lol.
    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
      If cost is an issue I would hunt for that elusive festiva pacemaker header from aus.
      Stupid auto correct.
      I meant to say pacesetter header brand not pacemaker.
      Last edited by rmoltis; 02-10-2016, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Okay more to think about.

Are these the same or similar to the DEA 4-1 Headers you all speak so highly of? There appears to be an office in Australia.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Click_It; 02-10-2016, 01:33 AM.
        200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Hmm, that's ironic. That's very similar to the header that we have available here in the U.S. except the header here is made by DAE, not DEA. Lol
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Oh wow I missed that. Sounds like I found some copy-cats then. How much do the DAE's go for locally (in the US) ?
            200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Originally posted by Click_It View Post
              Okay more to think about.

Are these the same or similar to the DEA 4-1 Headers you all speak so highly of? There appears to be an office in Australia.
              Here's a pic of one of my DAE headers, for comparison. The extra (outer) holes on top are so it can fit gen2 B6 heads, as well as the gen1 B6 and any B3. Looks like functionally they would be the same as the DEA ones. Wierd that the names are so similar.

Last edited by TominMO; 02-10-2016, 09:19 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Oh wow I missed that. Sounds like I found some copy-cats then. How much do the DAE's go for locally (in the US) ?
                You would be looking at a similar price. Maybe slightly more for a personally handmade header.
                When I bought mine he was offering our site deals I got the header, a flex bellow and shipping for $440.

If you could get some dimensions on the header that would be great.
                We need to know
                primary size inside diameter
                Primary lengths from head to collector
                And inside diameter of the collector.

So we can give you an accurate comparison to tell you whether or not they will perform similary.
                But I say again.
                Stay away from that motavator header, you won't be happy with it.
                It's 1st primaries were 1.5"
                It's 2nd primaries were larger
                It's 3rd primaries were even larger.
                And it's o2 sensor only reads from one primary.

It was not well designed with the festiva in mind.

But that 2nd one you showed looks very promising
                It even has the o2 sensor in the collector to measure the average o2 of all primaries.
                (You will need a heated o2 sensor for it since the o2 sensor location was moved further than 18" from the head). Also see if the Dea header has 2 o2 bungs (1 for o2 sensor to ecu & 1 for wideband)
                I think Tom already poinTed out the fuel tuning part with the carb jets.
                Last edited by rmoltis; 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Heated O2 sensor = Denso 234-3000.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The only info I have found so far is:

Primary Pipe: 1 3/8" (35mm)
                    Outlet: 2" (51mm)

"DEA" appears to just be a vendor, my guess is they're trying to cash in on the DAE brand name.

So these are actually Pacemaker Headers, with what appears to be a similar design to the DAE Headers. Product number PH4309. A FF search revealed another aussie trying to sell these for $300+P&H back in 2011.
                    200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Yes the pace setter, maker, whatever it's called.

It is just another option to look into when deciding best bang for your buck.

So right now you removing the motavator option.

Leaves you with 3 solid options that will produce "similar" results.

Those measurements you gave match up with the DAE.

The only other factor that affects how much low or high rpm torque is produced will "hinge" on primary lengths.

Longer equals higher torque peak but lower the hp peak.
                      Shorter equals higher hp peak with lower tq peak.

This is just a general rule of thumb now that we know the other 2 variables are matched.
                      Last edited by rmoltis; 02-10-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Remember this guy is in Australia so shipping a Dickmeyer header over would probably add 50% to the price...
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                          Remember this guy is in Australia so shipping a Dickmeyer header over would probably add 50% to the price...
                          I do remember, 2 of his options are in australia.
                          It is up to us to show him his options.
                          It is up to him to decide which option+cost is right for him.
                          Last edited by rmoltis; 02-10-2016, 04:45 PM.

Comment

The only info I have found so far is:

Primary Pipe: 1 3/8" (35mm)
                            Outlet: 2" (51mm)

"DEA" appears to just be a vendor, my guess is they're trying to cash in on the DAE brand name.

So these are actually Pacemaker Headers, with what appears to be a similar design to the DAE Headers. Product number PH4309. A FF search revealed another aussie trying to sell these for $300+P&H back in 2011.
                            I doubt it. Just coincidental. Matt (DAE) is just one guy who runs a private engine building, custom automotive shop. It's not like he does mass production work. 99.999% of what he does is high HP V8 race engines. The only reason he does anything for Festivas is because he owned one and decided to play with it just for fun.
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

how much does the DAE's header cost

Comment

Originally posted by errjam View Post
                                how much does the DAE's header cost
                                See post #22.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X