1990 Mazda Miata 1.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Mazda Miata 1.6

Hmmm... how hard would this be to fit to a stock transmission? If I could get a better price it may be worth considering...

*edit* I guess I should have worded that better. What changes would be required to bolt it in? If I recall the coolant inlet and outlets are different...mount... not really sure about electronics...

Last edited by SiliconSoul; 02-10-2016, 03:51 PM.
    - Form should follow function...

Your b3 water pipes will work on that engine, but you'll need some parts to make it bolt into the Festiva.

91-94 Capri Intake manifold, fuel rail, valve cover, oil pan and exhaust manifold/downpipe. Those parts can be found relatively easy.
    You'll need to modify the passenger side festiva engine mount or buy one already modified.

READ THIS WHOLE THREAD

You can run that engine on factory b3 fuel injection. You'll also need to block off the coolant passage on the front of the head with a freeze plug and install a dipstick tube into the oil pump housing.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-10-2016, 04:09 PM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thanks a bunch Charlie! My current cars 1.3 is not too healthy thanks to a previous owners lack of maintenance. I'm either going to swap in another good 1.3, but would love to be able to give it a touch more pep while still getting good mpg.
      - Form should follow function...

Comment

The miata engine is a great way to do that. It takes a little time to find all the bits and pieces, but it's worth it. Also, the 1.3 oil pan will fit, but you'll need the rear main seal carrier from the b3 as well. It bolts right up the the miata block. The b3 and b61p are eerily similar in design. Factory b3 a/c bolts up and power steering too. The stock engine mount would bolt up too, but the timing belt is in the way because of the DOHC head.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Unfortunately we didn't get the Capri Charlie mentioned on this side of the 49th.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
          X