Pistons and Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistons and Compression

I want to refresh my B6T before I finish up this build and get this little guy on the road.
    I would like to bump the compression a bit to help around town driving and it's been a while since I looked at pistons and such.

And I am torn if forged are really necessary. Don't plan on really pushing it but 200 hp would be a nice place to land.

Been out of the loop for some time. Anything new I should consider?
    Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/engine/B6ZE.html i think this website has some really good products. the oem valve reliefs on the pistons are prone to breakage under high stress. but tons of folks run oem rods on high hp builds. im sure you could find an oem weight piston and then you would need a balance.

Comment

Nice site. Thank you.
      Rodney

Comment

those wiseco ones would probably be your best bet. check out bp performance specialties on facebook. that guys running 30+ psi on a bp engine with factory rods, making 400+ hp. and they are the same rods that the b6 uses. at least both engines use the same aftermarket rods.

Comment

i think tons of folks have issues with factory pistons because of ill fueling. not enough folks are running water methanol injection and keeping those compression temperatures down. specially on hot summer days without intercooling.

Comment

The biggest issue is ring end gap. Most replacement ring packages have nearly twice the ring end gap that your stock rings have. This causes the engines to blow by badly and consume oil. I've had the best luck with reusing the original rings. On stock pistons. The B6t will hold 200hp easily, but the stock turbo and manifold are the culprit for the burned pistons at the valve reliefs. The wastegate doesn't flow enough and the manifold is too short, when excessive pressure and heat build up in the exhaust manifold the heat damages the pistons during valve overlap.
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-15-2016, 11:40 AM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I would like to have 8.5 ish on CR. I think driveability would be better.

I wonder how much I can gain with a little head shaving or block...
              Rodney

Comment

why so much gap. is it possible to get oem gapped rings?

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                  why so much gap. is it possible to get oem gapped rings?
                  Or file to fit?
                  Rodney

Comment

take like 10 mil off. it would help deshrowd the valves, and give you a couple tenths of a point of compression. charlie took off 20 on his pedro car. but that car doesnt have a turbo though.

Comment

True there on the rings. Charlie and Ryal just finished collaborating on a BP in the garage. The ring end gap is at .007 on the top and .008 on the second ring that had to be filed. The new oems were like .012-.013..big problem. For bumping the compression just use a 9.0:1 Miata or Capri short block from an automatic car. The rods will hold 200 without issues. Like he said..Port out the waste gate and get a free flowing down pipe. My next B6t will get bored 20 with new pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                        True there on the rings. Charlie and Ryal just finished collaborating on a BP in the garage. The ring end gap is at .007 on the top and .008 on the second ring that had to be filed. The new oems were like .012-.013..big problem. For bumping the compression just use a 9.0:1 Miata or Capri short block from an automatic car. The rods will hold 200 without issues. Like he said..Port out the waste gate and get a free flowing down pipe. My next B6t will get bored 20 with new pistons.
                        What's that in mm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

.5. Answered my own question

Comment

yup

Comment

New aftermarket, or can you get .5 over oem slugs

Comment

Working...