Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Aspire Rad in Festiva ?

Hello Folks,

Our car- 1990 Ford Festiva, stock. (Well, shortened 2 feet...) but we plan to take the car through death valley this august.

We came across a 1994 ford aspire, with A/C in the wrecking yard the other day as I swear the rad was much wider. Is this true? Would a bigger aspire help keep our Hamster cool ?

Thanks, DawgStrip

Are you having over heating issues

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

And what do you mean " shortened 2 feet"?
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^lol

No, that was not a typo.

Last edited by sketchman; 04-19-2016, 11:01 PM.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

The stock radiator will work fine in death valley, but you guys are going to need some serious sun screen.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Alright, I think I found the misunderstanding. We have to remember "Stock" isn't always the same for everyone.

I can't say for certain about Festiva's, but I know other vehicles are built differently for where they are destined to be shipped.

A car destined for the southern USA may not come equipped with High Output heaters or block heaters the same as not all Canadian cars would have A/C.

Ours is Canadian eh.

So back to the original question. Does a A/C Aspire have a larger rad then a non A/C Festiva. Or better yet, what are your rad measurements?

Thanks again Folks.

DawgStrip

Comment

..and I thought you were crazy driving the Hamster to Westiva last year. Speaking of which, will you be coming this year?

For a little extra cooling you could go to the stock Festiva radiator for an automatic transmission. It's two core rather than one. That way all the mounting points will work. You would have to move the mounting points to use the Aspire rad.
              Last edited by fastivaca; 04-19-2016, 11:32 PM.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Guys are using the stock rad for BP (1.8L) turbocharged Festivas. You'll be fine. Really.

Festivas run cool stock.
                Last edited by sketchman; 04-19-2016, 11:38 PM.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I was planning on installing an Aspire rad, and even welded in amother lower rad support. It interfered with the compressor, so I didn't install it.

Comment

The factory auto aspire rad is single core as well, so no real improvement there, get an auto festy rad

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Ian, thank you for the invite to Westiva. We had a blast last year but sadly I'll be at work for this one.

This year we plan to take the Hamster on about 5000 Mile road trip over 2 weeks or so. In the middle of that trip we'll be a part of the "24 hours of LeMons Rally" Feel free to fallow the adventure on our twitter.

As for the helpful information, Thanks to everyone. I like the Idea of a 2 row automatic rad. Added cooling plus added coolant volume while keeping factory mounts and hoses. I had forgotten about the Auto Rad, we'll have to keep our eyes open for one. As well as a heater core, ours drips a little on the floor but has done that since day one.

DawgStrip

Comment

Just save your trip for Madness in october. You guys are gonna cook to death in the desert.

But really, a 2 core rad, well flushed system, good water pump etc, you should have no overheating issues anywhere. These things run so cool its unreal.

Have you guys weighed that car by any chance? Looks like it could definitely use some suspension work.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

There is no difference in radiators from a festiva sold in California or one sold in Canada. The auto came with a thicker radiator, but most low dollar replacement radiators are the thin version.
                          I have a thick auto radiator in my 1.6 DOHC swapped festiva and it has been through death valley in the summer.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

^ Charlie, I can't find manual rads anywhere anymore, they're all auto units.

Comment

Arty, are they the thick ones though? I kept getting ones with the trans cooler lines, but they were thin, like the manual radiator. I finally found a nice thick aluminum radiator for Pedro, but it took several tries. I'm not sure it was necessary though, Pedro doesn't come close to running hot.
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-22-2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X