boost creep help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boost creep help needed!

So on lucifer i went back to a stock down pipe. I am still getting to much boost creep tho? I didnt get to port the iwg yet tho.

Is there anything i can do to help stop the creep? wire the wastegate open all the time? Port it bigger! any other ticks?
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Signal port line to the WG leak free?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Either keep your foot out of it or port the gate..not many choices.

Comment

Will have to go over each line to make sure.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I did find one ine thatwas a bit lose. It helped the boost issue but not by much
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Next thing to check is if the WG modulator has full range of motion.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What turbo are you running? And what exhaust after the down pipe?

I had a big problem with boost spike and boost creep that took a long time for me to solve. It had multiple sources.
              The waste gate actuator could be bad, and not opening the gate all the way.
              You could have a leak in the intake lines that prevents good actuation of the gate.
              I turned out to have a problem with the weights in the distributor that adjust timing with rpm, and that is known to cause boost creep. A simple rebuild of the distributor fixed that. Once I read about that I took it apart and could see the failed spring, or whatever it was that was broken (can't remember what is was exactly anymore.)
              I ported the wastegate and it did not solve the problem.
              I wired the wastegate wide open and it still did not solve the problem, to my shock. That was when I considered that I had a 2 inch, open straight pipe exhaust with no cat, and a VJ11/14 hybrid turbo so the entire exhaust was not tuned right. I had a short 3 or 4 inch long 1 inch diameter pipe welded inside the stock downpipe at the downstream end and it fixed the problem. The higher flow rate of the hybrid turbo and the open exhaust simply did not allow the small (even when ported) stock wastegate to divert enough flow and keep the boost down. Sasquatch was unimpressed with my solution, since it does cost some power. But it worked, and the car has plenty of power. The alternative would have been an aftermarket wastegate and down pipe solution, which I did not want to go to.

Wiring the actuator open was the best way to find out that flow was the problem, once I had first reduced the issue by fixing the distributor. These may not be your issues, but information is always useful.
              Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
              Icetiva-3-race-car-build
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Have you tried a boost controller...manual or electronic? Determine your gate is working, port the thing and install a controller..a simple bleed valve will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
                  What turbo are you running? And what exhaust after the down pipe?

I had a big problem with boost spike and boost creep that took a long time for me to solve. It had multiple sources.
                  The waste gate actuator could be bad, and not opening the gate all the way.
                  You could have a leak in the intake lines that prevents good actuation of the gate.
                  I turned out to have a problem with the weights in the distributor that adjust timing with rpm, and that is known to cause boost creep. A simple rebuild of the distributor fixed that. Once I read about that I took it apart and could see the failed spring, or whatever it was that was broken (can't remember what is was exactly anymore.)
                  I ported the wastegate and it did not solve the problem.
                  I wired the wastegate wide open and it still did not solve the problem, to my shock. That was when I considered that I had a 2 inch, open straight pipe exhaust with no cat, and a VJ11/14 hybrid turbo so the entire exhaust was not tuned right. I had a short 3 or 4 inch long 1 inch diameter pipe welded inside the stock downpipe at the downstream end and it fixed the problem. The higher flow rate of the hybrid turbo and the open exhaust simply did not allow the small (even when ported) stock wastegate to divert enough flow and keep the boost down. Sasquatch was unimpressed with my solution, since it does cost some power. But it worked, and the car has plenty of power. The alternative would have been an aftermarket wastegate and down pipe solution, which I did not want to go to.

Wiring the actuator open was the best way to find out that flow was the problem, once I had first reduced the issue by fixing the distributor. These may not be your issues, but information is always useful.
                  Interesting about that distributor. Maybe not advancing timing enough, causing too much unburnt fuel to come out the exhaust

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes i have a mbc on it! I found a lose line going to the mbc also. The sticker on the mbc was backwards. It was telling me to tighten the pressure to have lower boost levels! Once i figured out it has to be loser to lower boost levels i changed it. I have not been able to drive the car since.

Ill be hooking up the rest of the exhaust this weekend. As of now its the stock downpipe to a 2" straight pipe. The exhaust system is still there however the 2" pipe just after the turn has broken. Ill have to pull the pipe off and re weld the broken section back on and install a flex section. I got the car with the stock broken parts. Just have not had much time to fix it yet.
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I'm not a fan of those crap old turbos though. There's been years of technology advancement since 93

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be letting a car go soon. Once its gone ill take the cash from it plus a bit of side cash and pick up a new turbo, manifold, laptop, and have it tuned!

Gonna have BP specialty on facebook make the manifol and tune it.

Gonna grab a twisted motion t25/t28 turbo
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I was not impressed at all with twisted motion customer service .
                          New build on the way .

Comment

Honestly the rhb5 turbos have good to them. They are easy to hybrid, cheaper than the real Garrets and the packaging and bolt up is still desireable and cost effective. Not everyone has the ability to put other than a IHI on these motors. Easier yet is to have the vj turbine housings machined to accept a Garret. Now you have the best of both worlds..a bolt on ball bearing turbo for the b6t and the bpt.

Comment

damn i hate to hear that! I was liking their price
                              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X