auto rad restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto rad restore

Thanks to 1990new, I now have a new project for my Festiva.
    I just received a rad from an automatic Festiva. I will post updates from time to time of my rad rebuild. It will include a complete boil out to remove any sludge and paint, lathe and solder on a brass button to replace the missing one + a complete polish and lacquer for both reservoirs. I did the magnet test this morning. Both the rad supports and side supports are steel. The rest should be brass with copper fins.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 06-19-2016, 07:14 AM.

I am going to take the rad in Saturday for a clean out.
    I have found the expert I need.
    Yorkdale Radiator.
    He's only about a 10 minute drive north of me.
    The next post will have pictures of the pressure test and boil out, from inside his shop.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 06-21-2016, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Should look pretty nice when done.

Comment

As suspected, when you see corrosion on the lower fins, suspect a leak.
        Ganesh melted the reservoirs off. I could have done it myself, as I have a wide nozzle for my acetylene. The amount of rust that I saw looking into the rad was scary. It really is making me think hard about non-aqueous coolant. I had no choice but to authorize a re-core.
        The core is being shipped to Montreal. Only six channels allowed light to shine through. The rest were plugged with iron oxide.
        He gave one reservoir a little glass bead.
        I prefer brass reservoirs.
        This rad does not have the same fan shroud mounts as the plastic reservoir ones.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 06-25-2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Just need to paint the mounting ears black.

The stock rad cap polished up nicely!

I had a couple of extra pieces chromed up.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 09-09-2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I didn't know anybody was still re-coreing these small radiators today. You can get a new one delivered to your door for next to nothing. Just my 2 cents worth. I will be looking for an all aluminum Civic radiator soon for my B6T car soon. Three row aluminum for $60 delivered. Chinese made I imagine. Junk? Perhaps? I will find out.
            '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
            '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
            '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Working...
            X