Rio Trans into Aspire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Trans into Aspire

Installing Kia gearbox, anyone interested let me know. I'll post some pics etc.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

of course we are interested. What are you using for axles?
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Yes, very interested. I think this is a great idea.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

This should be almost direct bolt . Rio axles will work .
        New build on the way .

Comment

So far it looks like the front mount is going to be my toughest. Ive taken the Aspire Xmember and cored it out(so its basiclly a frame).
          Im using the the Rio Front & Rear mounts. Using a tape measure. Ive determined that the front mount on the Rio is outboard 1". The rear Rio mount is out board 3-5/8's".(When compared to the stock Aspire mounts). Ironically when you mount the stock Xmember in the chassis. The rear mount is dead center with the Xmember. The front one though... Im on the fence with it,because its landing right up against the inboard edge of the Xmember tubular "frame". So I could either cut the frame and kick it out the Xmember frame 1". Or, modify the mount so its center line is outboard 1". This will be the easy solution,but the thing I dont like about this. It will put more load on the upper mount. And it now the front and rear mounts will be directly in line with each other. I'm sure the factory purposely made the front more inboard for a reason.
          Lastly the Upr engine mount,in order to get this assembly to fit. I had to vary from stock A LOT. I dropped it down at least an inch. And it looks like I'll be able to move the engine forward about 1/2" up to 1". By dropping down the Upr,it allows me to clear the sway bay with the front mount.Also the Upr mount has some deg of forward pitch to (lean the engine forward).

And yes the Rio axles will be the ones I'm using. I'm going to leave everything else stock on this car till I get it on the road. With only a B3 the gearing might feel God awefull,IDK yet. I've taken off work Yesterday & today. I'm hoping to be able to fire it up this weekend? I'll still have to mod the shifter tubes.
          Little things have slowed me down as of late. Two hrs just to get the T/O bearing replaced. The fork was corroded to the shaft soooo bad. I sure as heck didnt want to break that cast iron fork (patience prevailed). Then those Xmember bolts ! I cant believe how tough they came out. I thought I had low psi on my impact. The threads were rolled so I scrapped the bolts. Made some new bushings and chased the thread in the chassis. This car is 95% rust free,but those bolts still corroded (three technically). But I replaced all four. I post picks so my rambles will make a little sense.

Comment

Heres a few pics of my fixture I'm using to get things squared up.Charlie how much compression do you think I'll get when the front & rear mounts get weight on them? I'm guessing at least .500"... The bottom of the bell-housing is very close to the Xmember in one spot.
            I have @ 4-5 deg of forward tilt on the motor. And the motor is exactly 1.250" forward from stock To much on these dimensions????

Last edited by nitrofarm; 11-15-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Got rid of the chain on the pulley side. All turnbuckles now,no hoist to trip over. Everthing is exactly were it should be,time to start fabing the mounts. Engine is sitting 1 1/2" forward & 3/4" lower than stock now.

Comment

Nice U channel. I like the turnbuckles to allow for engine height and rotation adjustment.
                The Festiva Store
                Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Thanks bud !

Comment

Front Mount is tacked,ready for trial fit. Made it little extra deeper,can add a few washers underneath if need be.

Comment

I too am interested in this service and or product

I have a WB Festiva here in OZ, which I believe is the Aspire over there in the USA (??)
                      and the Rio gearbox is the "g" series box I assume?

Comment

Originally posted by 2festi View Post
                        I too am interested in this service and or product

I have a WB Festiva here in OZ, which I believe is the Aspire over there in the USA (??)
                        and the Rio gearbox is the "g" series box I assume?
                        The Rio & G series are similar outwardly. Internally they differ by the following...
                        Rio has the same Differential as G series,but its Clutch and gear set is from Mazda F series. And its mounting points are unique to Kia Rio. Its an ideal upgrage for your Car. Or our 1.3L which I will eventually Boost. Hope this helps-

Comment

I'm not sure how much the mounts will compress with the B3. I'd assume less than a half inch. It really depends on the mount that's being used. They normally compress about 1/4" when new, and less when they are used.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                            The Rio & G series are similar outwardly. Internally they differ by the following...
                            Rio has the same Differential as G series,but its Clutch and gear set is from Mazda F series. And its mounting points are unique to Kia Rio. Its an ideal upgrage for your Car. Or our 1.3L which I will eventually Boost. Hope this helps-
                            Cheers mate

Comment

Does the Rio have a crossmember like our cars that bolts up the same way? Like how Festiva and Aspire crossmembers interchange. Might make mounting the trans much easier.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost
                              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                              X