Na Capri 5 spd into Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Na Capri 5 spd into Festiva

Has anybody here put a na Capri 5 spd into a Festiva? Does anybody know the final drive gear ratio?

Its a hydraulic clutch trans so swap isn't as easy as the cable trannies. Final is 4.11 I think.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Seems like a noob question for someone who's been a member for 10 years...
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by rhink12 View Post
        Has anybody here put a na Capri 5 spd into a Festiva? Does anybody know the final drive gear ratio?
        Besides doing specific searches, it's a good idea to check the Articles forums at the bottom of the main forum page.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          Seems like a noob question for someone who's been a member for 10 years...
          They only have 23 posts though, maybe they had a Festy a long time ago and got rid of it. That was my case, that and I was only 18 when I first joined and was not very knowledgeable about automobiles.
          Last edited by firebush357; 12-09-2016, 09:41 AM.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Randy! How have you been?
            This swap has been done, but it's a lot of effort for not much gain. Do you still have the BP auto Festiva?
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Hey BP autos are cool.

Anyway unless you already have the Capri trans, better off going with a Rio trans. Cable clutch.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I'm doing good. I've still got it. With the 3 spd auto it's really wingin the engine on the freeway. I have the trans and other parts already so I am going to figure out the clutch part of it. I need a clutch pedal and the part that the cable goes into under the dash.

Comment

Tell me about it. I have an aspire auto in mine. 3300 rpm at 55 mph. 4000 at 70.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                    Tell me about it. I have an aspire auto in mine. 3300 rpm at 55 mph. 4000 at 70.
                    Is there a difference between the Festiva and Aspire autos ratio as with the manuals? Those RPMs are higher than I experience with either of my autos. They run more like 2900-3000 at 55 and 3500-3600 at 70.
                    "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                    "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                    "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                    "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                    "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                    "Wenona"-89L parts car
                    "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
                      Is there a difference between the Festiva and Aspire autos ratio as with the manuals? Those RPMs are higher than I experience with either of my autos. They run more like 2900-3000 at 55 and 3500-3600 at 70.
                      There probably is, because the Festiva auto trannies had to compensate for shorter tires. Looks like a 10% difference.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yes, 94-95 aspires are the lowest geared. Then 96-97 they went a little higher and used the lockup converter to try to get some mpg back.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
                          Yes, according to Jim (FB71), there are 3 ratio sets for the aspire depending on the year. Festiva stayed the same.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I'm doing good. I've still got it. With the 3 spd auto it's really wingin the engine on the freeway. I have the trans and other parts already so I am going to figure out the clutch part of it. I need a clutch pedal and the part that the cable goes into under the dash.
                            The Non turbo Capri 5 speed is only going to be slightly better than the auto. The Capri is geared for larger tire diameter than the festy. The Turbo Capri trans 5th gear can be swapped out for the taller 626 5th gear, so that tranny works good and it's a cable clutch tranny. Adapting the hydraulic clutch takes custom fabrication, as does the tranny mounts. Nothing directly bolts up, except the trans to the engine.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                              Yes, 94-95 aspires are the lowest geared. Then 96-97 they went a little higher and used the lockup converter to try to get some mpg back.
                              And that centrifugal lockup is the worst POS on the planet. It comes in at 1900 rpm!?! Why?? It just lugs the engine and keeps the converter from doing its job, which is to multiply torque.
                              Ever since the one in Kermet "broke", Caety has picked up a consistent 4-5mpg in her mixed driving. And passing on the highway is now doable. Dipping into it allows the rpm to flair an extra 300 rpm to get the needed torque.

If you get an auto aspire, toss that lockup converter and put in a Festiva unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X