Exhaust for b6d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust for b6d

Hey guys I'm tired of my car sounding like a kazoo when I get on it.
    Here's it's current setup, 18 dollar exhaust off a junkyard festiva. It was a brand new walker system from cat flange back. My car is a b6d and g series stock down pipe no cat and then the walker system. It's nice and quite till i go more then half throttle then goes rice. It's rather funny sounding.

I've been running this exhaust for like 2 years, I put this on because the stock one was rusted out and droned so bad on my hour one way drive to work every day.

Here's what I want from the exhaust system.
    Good flow, decent sound but not overly loud.
    This is what I was thinking 2.5 exhaust tube, dynomax muffler and some kind of resonator. Anyone that has a system similar can you please let me know what you think.
    I found this 1.6 miata with a 2.5 system no cat and dynomax muffler think it sounds good but the in car vidoe of it is pretty loude. https://youtu.be/VVV59S2kfx8

Videos are never that great for judging by as the microphone never picks things up like that accuratly.
    I would say your choice of muffler is less important than having 1 or even 2 good resonators.
    Have a look at what charlie did with pedro. I hear (by word of keyboard) that it sounds nice.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

2.5 is way too big for a naturally aspirated b6d. 2 inch max.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^ Agreed.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Pedro currently has a 2" high flow cat then 2" mid section that goes into a 2" to 2.25" resonator and then into a 2.25" dynomax muffler. The car sounds great. No buzzy Honda sounds.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-02-2017, 12:05 AM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

1.85" (import) and 2" work great. I agree the resonator is an important feature.
            No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              Pedro currently has a 2" high flow cat then 2" mid section that goes into a 2" to 2.25" resonator and then into a 2.25" dynomax muffler. The car sounds great. No buzzy Honda sounds.
              I have even had several non-Festiva folks comment on how good Pedro sounds.
              "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
              "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
              "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
              "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
              "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
              "Wenona"-89L parts car
              "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Agree don't skip resonator. Mine is 2" with 2 magnaflow mufflers. Sounds like a$$ (raspy honda) since no resonator.
                Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Thanks for the help guys I'll get some 2 inch pipe rather then the 2.5 . Any advice of resonator length?

Comment

Long... 18"+ if you can fit it. That will focus on the low speed drone at cruise rpm. Really though, should be closer to 23" for the 2-2.3k rpm range.
                    Last edited by FestYboy; 06-02-2017, 11:25 PM.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I put a short fat one off a 7th gen honda civic in. Works well. Too fat though, its now the lowest point on the car.

Actually, looking at that photo its not that short...
                      Does it make a difference where you put it in the exhaust system? I mean we dont have many options, but in theory is it better just behind the cat? Just before the muffler? Ahead of the cat? Mid-way?
                      Last edited by w4rkry; 07-10-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

The only reason you always see the resonator behind the cat is for​ light off time of the cat. A cat needs heat to activate. And they want it active ASAP.

Comment

also to keep it out of the way of the shifter... I would measure and see how much room you have behind the shifter to the bend and get one as long as you can fit. a good resonator and a straight through muffler will be quieter and higher flowing than a junk muffler and no res at all...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Just the thread I was looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                              I put a short fat one off a 7th gen honda civic in. Works well. Too fat though, its now the lowest point on the car.

Actually, looking at that photo its not that short...
                              Does it make a difference where you put it in the exhaust system? I mean we dont have many options, but in theory is it better just behind the cat? Just before the muffler? Ahead of the cat? Mid-way?
                              Mind if I fix your Post with that Image Ryan?
                              Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                              Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                              Feel free to PM me anytime!
                              Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                              Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Working...
                              X