B6t swapped festiva, not the expected power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6t swapped festiva, not the expected power

Hey guys I have a 93 festiva just swapped in a b6t from a 93 mercury Capri xr2 with only 80,000 miles. The motor definitely has more power then the b3 but nowhere close to what it should. It take almost 5 full seconds to build boost to shift to next gear. Compression is good no leaks looking for some advice. not so noticeable Blown Head? gasket

Unless you left a blanking cap or rag in an intake component, or have a serious rats nest in the exhaust, (had both, some of us are slow learners) recheck ignition timing, if correct (13/14 degrees BTDC), recheck cam timing, report findings.
    While we are mulling over your findings, check the correctness of every vacuum hose, security, free flowing, routed to the correct nipple of the correct component.
    assuming no check engine light, blah blah blah...
    Last edited by Dragonhealer; 06-21-2017, 10:52 PM.
    No car too fast !

Comment

Did you look more into your overheating issue? It could be related to this.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Retarded ignition timing will cause overheating.
        No car too fast !

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a vacuum leak. I've always found they make turbo vehicles fall flat on their face when they happen. Long spooling times.

Lots of things get jiggled doing swaps! How's the shaftplay on the turbo?
          - Form should follow function...

Comment

Post a picture of the engine from above. I have seen 2 people criss cross the vacuum lines that go to the throttle body and kill performance.
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Way back in the day when I did my first b6t swap I found one of the injectors had a loose wire. The car was running on 3 cyls but because it was still at least as quick as the Capri the engine came from I didn't think much of it until someone pointed out the constant miss fire. It sounded lopey like a Subaru.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

So adjusted timing to 13 degrees btdc made a hug difference. As far as vacuum I have left it like I got it. Vehicle is still getting warm. I'm running a factory festiva radiator with a 1770cm fan.attaching photosIMG_20170622_095156.jpg

Comment

Here is a picture of the hoses on mine, if you notice the Vacuum line right before the Throttle Butterfly Plate goes directly to the Distributor and it looks like yours is going somewhere else. This may solve the issues that you are having, I know it helped someone previously.
                  "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                  sigpic
                  "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                  "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                  "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                  "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Nice!
                    No car too fast !

Comment

Guys....are you seeing what I'm seeing?
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Untitled.jpg
                        Last edited by bhazard; 06-22-2017, 04:37 PM.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                          Guys....are you seeing what I'm seeing?
                          I saw it and thought 'thats something my brother would do' lol.
                          Is that bad? I have no idea...

Comment

Yes it's bad. It's not a blowoff valve. Air goes through it both ways. Metered air at that.
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                              Yes it's bad. It's not a blowoff valve. Air goes through it both ways. Metered air at that.
                              Oh? What is it? I thought it was a blow off valve.

Comment

Working...
                              X