Carb'd B3 egr delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb'd B3 egr delete?

Anyone have some info on an egr delete for the carbd b3? Im saving for the carb adapter and a weber carb. I already deleted my cat and wanna get all this egr crap out too

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

There's no performance benefit to removing the EGR... Unless it's stuck open, but then the engine wouldn't run.
    Leave it alone and worry about your timing instead.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

My cat is already deleted and im going to put in a weber carb so all the egr lines from the exhaust and the thing on the intake are getting deleted so it wont be doing anything anyway, i just figured might as well get completely rid of it like the v8 guys do lol

Comment

The EGR is integrated into the head, there is nothing external except the valve itself.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Whats in the head?

Comment

Im deleting the crap on my air filter housing. Im guessing a block off plate where the valve goes will be good enough?

Comment

The stuff on the intake is what puts the exhaust back in the engine so im guessing if i take that off the egr wont work anyway lol

Comment

EGR reintroduces exhaust gas to lower engine temp to reduce nitrogen oxides in exhaust. It's an environmental thing. When the nitrogen reading on my car was up in emissions test I cleaned the EGR valve and it went down. I guess it was sticking. Hope that helps decide what you can do about it. Closing it off might mean the engine runs hotter at times. Somehwere out there should be info on optimum engine temp for low nitrogen emissions and so on.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyfire14 View Post
                  The stuff on the intake is what puts the exhaust back in the engine so im guessing if i take that off the egr wont work anyway lol

No, the intake tubes are part of the PAIR system. They are there to keep your cat alive, but since you don't have one, the system is useless.

Again, I'll state the EGR is integrated in the head, there's nothing to remove except the valve, but you don't have to touch it because it doesn't impact performance in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    No, the intake tubes are part of the PAIR system. They are there to keep your cat alive, but since you don't have one, the system is useless.

Again, I'll state the EGR is integrated in the head, there's nothing to remove except the valve, but you don't have to touch it because it doesn't impact performance in any way.
                    Ohhhh ok so if i delete the pair sysrem it wont affect the egr? If thats the case ill leave the egr and just delete the other system. Do you know what it does btw?

Comment

The PAIR (passive air injection reaction) system used the exhaust pulses to passively pump oxygen to the cat to allow a steady reaction to occur. When hlthe cars went all fuel injection, the program would alternate rich and lean to accomplish the same task (carbs can't actively adjust their AFR).

Comment

The PAIR (passive air injection reaction) system used the exhaust pulses to passively pump oxygen to the cat to allow a steady reaction to occur. When hlthe cars went all fuel injection, the program would alternate rich and lean to accomplish the same task (carbs can't actively adjust their AFR).
                        Ohhhhh ok that makes sense. Still not sure why they go to the intake when it sucks air lol but ill just delete that system and leave the egr. Will everything else work when i swap in a weber? All i need is the adapter to do that right?

Comment

I just recently deleted all my emissions from my 88 LX. No cat as well. Made a block off plate for the EGR valve deleted all vacuum operating systems on carburetor and also deleted the charcoal canister. Also deleted the O2 sensor. I'm running in a 10 inch air cleaner in replacement of original and it has never ran better. I imagine it wasnt running as good as it should due to possible multiple vacuum leaks and failed emission parts. No adverse effects from anything. Only reason i deleted it all was to clean up engine bay. No you open the hood and its like any other gas burner. Engine and trans and battery lol

Comment

There's no performance benefit to removing the EGR... Unless it's stuck open, but then the engine wouldn't run.
                            Leave it alone and worry about your timing instead.
                            Absolutely. Working EGR is a good thing. Lower combustion temps so you can run more timing.At WOT it doesn't do anything and at part throttle operation it partially fills the cylinder with inert gas. So if your cylinder is 1/4 full of inert gas you can only put in 3/4 fuel and air, saving you gas. When you step on it the valve closes you get cylinders with just air and fuel. no inert gas.
                            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                            X