6 speed anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed anyone?

Hey folks, I didn't notice this ever coming up. Has anyone dug into the possibility of a 6 speed gearbox out therefore a swap? I would hope there is a mazda unit out there that might work or a ford one that mightvmagically do the trick.

I doubt it. I thought about dropping in a GM V-6 from a Fiero. They use Getrag transmissions. How long are our transmissions? A Gertrag six speed is 350mm installed.

Shifting gears.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 09-16-2017, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I know there was a 6 speed version of the Mazda G-series Trans that was found in Ford Escapes. And the 5spd G-series swaps in easy. But that’s all I know.
      I didn't choose the Festiva the Festiva chose me

2001 Nogaro Blue Audi S4 (Sold)
      1993 White Ford Festiva L (taken by the rust gods and a bit of stupidity on my part)
      1993 White Ford Festiva L #2 (Autocross And Track Build)
      2000 VW Golf TDI 5spd 315K as of 10/17 (Daily)

Comment

^ same series, different cases... And they're hen's teeth.... It's not the number of gears, it's the ratios that make the difference, and even if the escape trans fit after you found one, the diff ratio is way wrong for a Festy.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Festivas are best with narrow spread, high ratios, right?
          A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
          Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

When they're stock, I'd say no, since there's a rather wide torque band down low and the goal is mpg. But if you're after performance up to 120 mph with a swapped festy, then a close ratio would suit better. More speed than that and you need a longer final drive gear. Factory is 3.62? on the E series, the escape trans is something closer to 4.30... with our small tires, that means ALOT of revs for not alot of speed.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm wondering if the Scion iA transmission is an F-series. The Mazda2's 5 speed is an F and the Scion iA is essentially the same engine.
              Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
              1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
              2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
              2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Working...
              X