No weld civic radiator!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No weld civic radiator!

I refused to buy a $50 ebay radiator and then spend $60 to relocate the outlet pipe because I have no aluminum welder friends.

1.buy ebay 2 core aluminum radiator with fan, I've found it often costs the same as w/o, so duh get that item listing.
    2. Remove top hose off your car. Cut your top hose in half. Keep with you for step 3.
    3. Home depot motorsports trip time. In the plumbing section you will need a 6 inch piece of straight pipe that your new 2 piece top hose fits onto.
    4. Remove your factory radiator and fan.
    5. Do a quick mock up with that eBay radiator in stock location and note there is no way is going to work with that lower outlet! it points right at the downpipe! This is where I split off from everyone else…
    6. Move radiator 6-8 inches toward passenger side. I was actually able to use one of the Honda nubs in the factory Festiva bottom radiator rubber feet inserts.
    7. Angle grinder time. Take like 4 inches off of the metal outlet coming off your water pump. File smooth. No turning back lol.
    8. Use the hard 90 degree bend from your top hose attach it to your thermostat housing. Other side
    Goes to the length of pipe and trim remaining hose piece to fit onto the new relocated top radiator outlet. It's right under your air intake piping now but there is room. COMMENT… at this step I might have cut my lower hose to produce another rubber hose bend, or I had another old festiva hose at my disposal. Cloudy memory.
    9. Now this is where it gets crazy. hopefully the radiator is not secured down yet because you actually need it to flop back and forth to attach to your water pump outlet. You only need a piece of Hose like 5 inches long or less. You may even have to trim the eBay radiator lower piece and knock off another inch of that as well, as awesome as it is that they line up perfectly there is now no room to put a hose

10. Fan now has to be a pusher fan. I don't have A/C equipment anymore so its fine like that.
    If you bought the eBay fan you're going to need about 8 inches of extra wire and some terminals to fit in the factory harness, or you can retain the factory clips and spice new wire after the connection. On fan take the little nut off, flip the blades around, and get a piece of string to make sure it blows the correct way with key on.

The radiator actually does not move around because the hoses keep it in so tight but you can now use funky colored honda hold downs when you drill new holes and make it all JDM terrific if you want.

So I did not take no for an answer. The other weird thing is there is a huge space in my engine bay because that factory Festiva fan assy takes up a lot of room for its size. The overflow bottle needs a longer tube and that's pretty much it. I would not use the 1.1 bar radiator cap so make sure you get a 13 pounder that fits correctly.

I'm sure the engineers on this forum think it is stupid to do that; they would have given up and paid the welder but I redneck engineered it. It doesn't leak it works fine

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Got any pictures of this setup?
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Rust in the system needs another flush, but its good to go. These pics show its not bottomed up yet which is better for anyone who wants to do the same here.

1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Nice! That looks pretty decent.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
          Nice! That looks pretty decent.
          Thanks. The ghetto stuff no one's going to see. I just have industrial zip ties holding the fan in, and trimmed the fan wires, tucked it all out of the way. That particular fan didn't come with that radiator it was another aquisition, it's bigger and doesn't help cooling. Its getting a 24hr lemons feel to it, great for reliability, bad for impressing anyone.

1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Great little write up, I'm also using that same radiator with no welding for my b6t swap. I'll post some pictures of it in a bit.

Might I ask why you needed a radiator upgrade for the stock b3?
            Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
            Something new breaks every day

Comment

Originally posted by Eviljimchicken View Post
              Great little write up, I'm also using that same radiator with no welding for my b6t swap. I'll post some pictures of it in a bit.

Might I ask why you needed a radiator upgrade for the stock b3?
              The plastic radiator split, and when an upgrade costs within 25% of a replacement that fails in 3 years that's what you do
              I have a B8me engine sitting on my garage floor that I could put in once I drill out some screws and get a computer for it. This particular B3 has overheated a few times so I just slapped it together with unworked head last week. I thought I screwed up the timing or dropped a valve. Turns out it was bad fuel as seen in the what did you do to your festy thread, so great news.

1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                The plastic radiator split, and when an upgrade costs within 25% of a replacement that fails in 3 years that's what you do

What brand was the one that only lasted you 3yrs?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I got all the rubber parts for mounting it from a civic at the junkyard. The bottom posts are bits of square tubing with a hole in them for the mounts.
                  I also cut the both necks in half to fit in the tight space. For the hoses, I just bent a piece of wire into the shape I needed and made a poor parts store employee go through all of their inventory to find hoses that matched the bends.
                  Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
                  Something new breaks every day

Comment

Originally posted by Eviljimchicken View Post

I got all the rubber parts for mounting it from a civic at the junkyard. The bottom posts are bits of square tubing with a hole in them for the mounts.
                    I also cut the both necks in half to fit in the tight space. For the hoses, I just bent a piece of wire into the shape I needed and made a poor parts store employee go through all of their inventory to find hoses that matched the bends.
                    Haha, nice. Had a feeling some people just do what needs to be done and don't share everything.

1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                    X