how cold is too cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how cold is too cold?

i have a 93l 5spd efi. i want to put a small hood scoop or vent on the side of my hood over the intake filter. i am in utah, and have heard that if the air entering the engine is too cold, it has some kind of negative effect or something like that. is that true? any help is appreciated.
    I have owned 15 nissan/datsun's and 1 ford. What the hell is the matter with me?
    93 L

None that I know of. Colder air is denser air, which allows you to add more fuel to make more power.
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

In the winter my car never warms up fully.

It's even worse when I have my ghetto cold air intake piping on there.

Something tells me that neg 40F air hitting the tops of my pistons isn't all that great.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

too much cold air blowing over the engine can make it harder on gas, but intake air, the colder the better 8)

Comment

thanx fellas.
          I have owned 15 nissan/datsun's and 1 ford. What the hell is the matter with me?
          93 L

Comment

a scoop can cause alot of turbulance which can negatively affect airflow into your intake. a scoop generally only works well if you make an intake box that isolates the air inlet from the rest of the engine bay

Comment

Originally posted by InjunDon
              a scoop can cause alot of turbulance which can negatively affect airflow into your intake. a scoop generally only works well if you make an intake box that isolates the air inlet from the rest of the engine bay
              Many hood scoops are more for looks, than actually picking up more
              air. Almost need a windtunnel to make sure that the scoop isn't under the boundary layer. Best thing is using a cowl pickup close to the windshield.

But read here when even a good scoop starts to add an effect

Now a 1.8L BP spinning at 7k only needs around 200 CFM,
              and a stock 1.3 about 100CFM at 5k

There just isn't that much demand for more air, but more Cold Air,
              makes sense, as EFI deals with it very well vs a Carb. I just
              wouldn't chop the hood for it.

Comment

Restricting airflow into the engine bay would be a good idea, especially in winter. Maybe not in summer.

Cooler air to the intake in the warmer months makes a lot of sense, but it's probably not necessary in the winter.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                X