B6 in a festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 in a festiva

I have a b6 out of a 1989 tracer. My b3 started knocking so I want to do a quick engine swap. I have everything for both engines except ecu I only have the b3 ecu. Is there any way I can swap the intake manifold and throttle body from the b3 onto the b6 so I can use the stock ecu and MAF? My tranny has a lot of miles on it so I really don’t want to push to much horse power and grenade the tranny. And does the e sites tranny bolt right up to the b6 or do I need an adapter plate?

Originally posted by 1988festivuh View Post
    I have a b6 out of a 1989 tracer. My b3 started knocking so I want to do a quick engine swap. I have everything for both engines except ecu I only have the b3 ecu. Is there any way I can swap the intake manifold and throttle body from the b3 onto the b6 so I can use the stock ecu and MAF? My tranny has a lot of miles on it so I really don’t want to push to much horse power and grenade the tranny. And does the e sites tranny bolt right up to the b6 or do I need an adapter plate?
    B3 ECU and injectors will work. A B6 is essentally a bored-out B3, for all practical purposes.
    Use the complete B3 intake, and the B6 exhaust manifold. You could use the B3 exhaust mani for the gen1 (1986 - 1989) B6, but the B6 one is better.
    E tranny bolts right on. Use the B6 flywheel, B3 clutch.

So basically you are just swapping in a different long block.
    Last edited by TominMO; 09-03-2018, 05:37 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I always thought you used the flywheel that goes with the trans, not the motor. Shouldn’t he use the e-series flywheel?
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I'm pretty sure you use the flywheel that goes with the trans.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
          I always thought you used the flywheel that goes with the trans, not the motor. Shouldn’t he use the e-series flywheel?
          Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
          I'm pretty sure you use the flywheel that goes with the trans.
          Thanks guys for catching that.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Just finished the swap and it runs great thank you for your help. It’s actually pretty quick with the b6 soon enough I’ll get the b6 ecu so I can use the injectors and Intake for a little more horse power and maybe in the future I’ll add a little turbo too. But for now the 75hp is doing great

Comment

Sweet! I have one I hope to be able to put in after Madness.
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

So I did the b6 swap and I love it, cut my 0-60 down under 8 sec. it helps that it’s a little stripped out. I have the b6 ecu and intake to swap out with the b3 ones so I’ll do that soon to get a little more power but I also have a Subaru turbo that I want to put on it I can’t seem to find a exhaust manifold for one tho. And where is the best place to mount a turbo. I have someone on standby for a tune I just gotta get there first. Any suggestions?

Comment

For a manifold get one from an aspire there a tube style and not cast so you can easily weld a flange that matches your turbo on to it. Or you could have someone cut you a head flange plate using your exhaust manifold gasket and make a custom manifold with flange.

Comment

I ran a B6 with everything B6... ECU, intake manifold, fuel injectors, exhaust manifold (until I replaced it with a header), and VAF in my red 92 Festiva for many years. With 82hp vs. the stock 63 it was a vast improvement over the stock B3. Put many miles on the combo which included a trip from Calgary to Raleigh for Madness V in 2011. Averaged just under 36 miles per US gallon over the 6000+ miles of the trip with five of us in the car, A/C on a lot of the time and a lot of 75mph Interstate Highway stretches. It's the engine that should have been in the car in the first place in my opinion. I know you'll enjoy it!

Ian
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Who here has run a b6 with a b3 intake and ecu for any length of time?My DD is a b3 89 auto car swapped to 4speed. My b6 car is rio/aspire swapped b6 5speed with b6 mass airflow, manifolds, ecu,and injectos with a stock festy 5 spd. Even with the 4speed my b3 car kills the b6 car milage wise. I drive 200 miles a day average so 4/5 mpg adds up quick. I am just wondering if swapping in b3 stuff will help. I really thought b6 5 speed would be closer on milage to a b3 4speed but not my luck.
                      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

We ran a B6D for a couple of years on all B3 engine management and components except intake manifold and exhaust manifold were Capri.
                        Got 29 mpg in town, 34 freeway, 24 towing.
                        No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                          We ran a B6D for a couple of years on all B3 engine management and components except intake manifold and exhaust manifold were Capri.
                          Got 29 mpg in town, 34 freeway, 24 towing.
                          Thank you! Damnit it's that same 5mpg hit that I was talking about guess the B3 has to remain the DD and the B6 the weekend car.
                          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                            Who here has run a b6 with a b3 intake and ecu for any length of time?My DD is a b3 89 auto car swapped to 4speed. My b6 car is rio/aspire swapped b6 5speed with b6 mass airflow, manifolds, ecu,and injectos with a stock festy 5 spd. Even with the 4speed my b3 car kills the b6 car milage wise. I drive 200 miles a day average so 4/5 mpg adds up quick. I am just wondering if swapping in b3 stuff will help. I really thought b6 5 speed would be closer on milage to a b3 4speed but not my luck.
                            I just put a b3 in. Only 6 weeks in but its lookong like at least that 5 or 6mpg. I have been keeping track but havent compared yet

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X