Engine Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Weight

Just wondering would anybody happen to know what the weight of a dohc bp, dohc b6, and stock b3 longblocks weight ? I have tried searching this site and the web with no luck so any help would be appreciated. If possible just the weight of the long block itself no accessories intake or exhaust manifolds just valve cover to oil pan. Thanks

~Jeff
    1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
    1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
    2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

thanks I thought I remembered seeing something on here before but I couldnt find it with the search. I still need more weights but that is a start. I guess the biggie now would be the longblock weight of a bp dohc. maybe I ll try the miata forums or something.

Comment

i thought the sohc 1.6 was supposed to be lighter than the b3? Rumor maybe?
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I found on a miata forum they said a 1.8 was 280-290 w manifolds and flywheel so there is only a bout 20-30lb difference in that and the stock b3. that sould not be hard to make up for. thanks for all the input.

Comment

More engine displacement means less metal inside ..

Comment

The B6 short block should be lighter than the B3 short block since the piston holes are bigger.

However, you need to take into consideration the FI and other bolt ons up top. For example, the older B6s have essentially the same FI routing, plenum style etc., so they should be about the same weight as their B3 counterparts. The newer B6s may have heavier (or lighter, for all I know) FI systems and plenums.

There may also be a weight difference between exhaust manifolds, too. Probably only a pound or two, but that may be the block weight difference as well.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
              X