FMU and Engine Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMU and Engine Management

I'm doing a low boost(5-6psi) turbo set up and I've heard of many people just using a FMU and no type of engine management. Is it always necessary to use engine management with a low boost set up or will just a FMU and bigger injectors work good?

What's a FMU?

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

It's a fuel pressure regulator some people call it a FMU(fuel management unit)

Comment

Are you willing to tear up your engine? That's alot of time invested in your engine to just "get by" on the fuel management.

Comment

So is your statement based on experience?

Comment

There a many supercharged and turbo cars out there with FMU's in them. (my truck included) A FMU basically closes the return line with a vacuum operated valve, forcing the fuel through the injectors. Crude, but it works. They have different calibrations for different applications though.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

I've seen the different kinds that are out there. I would need an adjustable FMU. Just curious if anyone has done it here without any type of engine management. I know it's been done before and it sounds reasonable going low boost with just the FMU. Of course other things would have to be adjusted along with the FMU.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown-Boy
                I've seen the different kinds that are out there. I would need an adjustable FMU. Just curious if anyone has done it here without any type of engine management. I know it's been done before and it sounds reasonable going low boost with just the FMU. Of course other things would have to be adjusted along with the FMU.
                MSD adjustable fuel reg, plus a 5th injector, a Cold Start unit
                activated by an adjustable pressure switch, 4 larger injectors from
                a Mustang, all fed by larger fuel pump. Around 8psi from a T25, eclipse BOV

Wide O2 plus EGT and A/F ratio gauges.
                Need to know whats going on, rather than waiting for pinging/melted pistons.

Someday will do the Megasquirt, but this cheapy setup works
                better than I'd imagined. Next stop is a Crane or MSD ignition box
                and coil.

Could crank Boost higher, but liking where its at now. peppy,
                yet don't need to worry about eating clutches

Comment

Working...
                X