Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short throw shifter questions

Hi all,
    I am looking to put in a cheapo short shifter, e-bay, or otherwise. I understand from searching that they generally fit well enough. my question is this, what year Honda civic shifter replacement should I look for? I am assuming it is pretty straight forward, couple a bolts, disconnect shift linkage under the car and swap in the new one. however any tips will be greatly appreciated.thanks.

chris

I have not yet installed mine. But I have done several others in different cars and I dont think you have to do anything under or outside of the car - it should all take place inside the car after the shift boot and or console is removed. And from the reading I have done here the honda one is pretty easy to do after a spring that holds the stock shifter is cut a little. I am sure someone will chime in to elaborate and give a more detailed answer.

Comment

The linkage that you have to unbolt from the bottom of the shifter is underneath the car.

Comment

that's what I thought, thanks skidmark.
        what I really need to know is what years of honda civic should I get my aftermarket shortshifter for?

Comment

POle120 had one in his festiva at the midwestiva ask him.
          It was really nice
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark
            The linkage that you have to unbolt from the bottom of the shifter is underneath the car.
            Wow thats gross - I have never heard of that before, I have put them in a few cars including, 2 rx7s a 350z, an eclipse, and a tiburon. Never had to go beneath the car - I can honestly say now that I am not looking forward to putting mine in.

Comment

Originally posted by carbed88
              Wow thats gross - I have never heard of that before, I have put them in a few cars including, 2 rx7s a 350z, an eclipse, and a tiburon. Never had to go beneath the car - I can honestly say now that I am not looking forward to putting mine in.
              You have got to be kidding right? You want a short shifter.. but think it's gross to get under a car? :shock:

Comment

As to question about the year of Honda to get the shifter from, it's been my experience that most late 80's - late 90's Civics, Integras, CRX's, Del Sols all have interchangable shifters.

There may me slight differences in the angle of the bend above the pivot ball, but the important part is the diameter of the pivot ball, and I'm almost 100% certain that they are all the same in that regard. I've done several Honda shifters and mixed and matched Integra shifters into Civic etc. and never had one not work... unless there is an oddball out there that I'm not aware of...

Just get whatever is cheap and available. If it doesn't fit, stick a MUGEN sticker on it and sell it on Ebay for $500.

Comment

thanks jimmy, that's what i was thinking. they only seem to break them down into '88-00, and 00 and newer. I'll go with a cheapo for an '88-00 civic, or del-sol.

chris

Comment

FMS has Pacesetter adjustables for $90.. how cheap do you need?

I have one in mine, and I like it pretty well... throw is quite nice
                    Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
                    http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
                    My Garage Page:
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

thanks quaddawg, I was looking in the 40 buck max range, and I think I've found one that should work. thanks for the heads up, I always seem to forget to check FMS.

chris

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
                        Originally posted by carbed88
                        You have got to be kidding right? You want a short shifter.. but think it's gross to get under a car? :shock:
                        Whats gross is that by the time I get back from school for the christmas break its going to be freezing cold - probably raining or snowing. And I dont have the garage space to pull in the festiva to get underneath it.....Its small though - maybe I can just pull it into the shed. :wink:

Comment

oh ok.. yeah, that would suck...

Comment

88-91 civic shifter

$10 or less shipped on e-bay

With a set of ramps and wrenches this can be done in a half hour

Remember, the spring in the shifter tower must be cut down to allow for instalation of the new shifter.
                            99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - # 1571 - PRT track whore
                            98 SVT - PRT R&D car
                            90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

yeah good luck getting that bad boy coil spring in...that's what i did cut it!

And i did mine without ramps! In the rain! On the street! Because I'm a die-hard! Dammit!
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Working...
                              X