intake mods for carbureted B3 and B6 engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intake mods for carbureted B3 and B6 engines

Here are the differences between an 88 intake and an 89 intake. As you can see from the number of holes, there is one extra hole on the end of the 88 manifold for EGR exhaust gas. This can be easily plugged. If you want to leave the EGR valve off, you will have to plug the two holes where it sat. The EGR opens at highway speeds to send exhaust gas back into the combustion chambers. On the 88 manifold, it is a tiny round hole at the back of the intake manifold. On the 89 manifold, it is a fancy curved dam shape. Someone must have done extensive flow bench testing.
    The most noticeable difference is that the intake ports are much smaller on the 88 than the 89. Also the carb base is about a half an inch lower.
    The runner length is longer on the 88. I would guess that the air velocity is a lot higher. Does anyone have a vacuum gauge? Please check both years. I would bet the 88 should pull slightly higher vacuum.

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

The last two pictures are from a Hitachi dual carb setup I bought off eBay from Australia. I will have to fabricate an intake manifold from foam. I will glue the foam together with low temp hot melt, attach a sprue, then dip it in a ceramic slurry. Once the slurry has dried, I will shake sand around it for support and then pour molten aluminum onto the exposed foam in the sprue. The styrofoam will vaporize, then the maching is the final step.

I made an intake manifold once before for the Chevy 2.8 V-6 engine.
    It was superior to the stock manifold and was dynoed and raced in Nevada by Macpherson. I still have the patterns.

[/img]

Re: intake mods for carbureted B3 and B6 engines

Originally posted by bravekozak
    The last two pictures are from a Hitachi dual carb setup I bought off eBay from Australia. I will have to fabricate an intake manifold from foam. I will glue the foam together with low temp hot melt, attach a sprue, then dip it in a ceramic slurry. Once the slurry has dried, I will shake sand around it for support and then pour molten aluminum onto the exposed foam in the sprue. The styrofoam will vaporize, then the maching is the final step.
    Special ceramic, or regular pottery grade stuff?

Sounds way easier than the bentonite clay/Petrobond method.

Just melt some old pistons for your stock?

Comment

You cast your own intake manifolds from scratch?!? You're my new hero. I mean, yeah, I've slapped together some headers, but dude...you're the king.

Comment

Yep he's cool. Skills man skills. Nice too.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

eBay victory

This morning I won two more twin carbys from Australia.
          That's 4 carbs, two manifolds, two air cleaners for $18 U.S.
          Can you say sea mail?

The engine they are from is the Mazda E6 used in the 1984 Ford KB Laser SS.
          I have been reading great results from the double carb setup.
          The torque is good enough to snap all three engine mounts at the same time.
          Yet, still be able to have enough air/fuel to take the vehicle to 120-180 m.p.h.

See you later mates!

Comment

any way you could possibly snag one of those setups for me?
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Hmmm didn't know there were two carb intakes. Not so sure it's an 88/89 thing though. I have an 89 that had a carb'd motor. I may have thrown the engine away, but I think I still have it, and it has an EGR. I have two carb'd intakes laying around, both have EGR. I'm trying to remember where I would have picked up the second one. Also trying to think if there's a VIN somewhere on the motor to see if it's an '89.

(The shorter overall runner looks interesting. That could be the best power making setup of the three manifolds: carb, carb with EGR, and EFI. The EFI runners are really long. The siamesed nature of the carb manifold may hurt it though. And carb'd setups have no rev limiter. I'll just go throw the three setups on the dyno...no wait, can't do that.)

Comment

It would be great to see some pictures of your manifold casting process. Sounds like something from "The Fastest Indian." I made a ram-air intake for a four barrel once with Styrofoam and fiberglass. Removed the foam core with MEK. Nothing as high tech as casting with metal. Wow!

Comment

Celica

How do you like this old twin carb Celica? I always like it when the chrome bumper blends into the body lines.

This is what my twin carb collection looked like before I thinned it out a bit...

Last edited by bravekozak; 04-18-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Holy crap brave! Nothing like digging in the depths to pull 1 up, even if it is yours. Here you go.
                    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                    - Unknown
                    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

pushing

I will be pushing my Festiva into the garage to finish it off.
                      I have almost every part now.
                      I will finish this thread off with a write up + pics of the twin carby install.

twin choke install
                      gas tank swap
                      brake booster swap
                      cruise install
                      stainless brake line install
                      power steering install
                      tilt steering install
                      a/c install
                      power door locks intall
                      distributor swap
                      Accel Super coil install
                      dash clock install

I just had to drywall the ductwork and ceiling. The bylaw states the garage ceiling must be completely sealed for a room directly above a garage.

Comment

Im looking forward to it. Cant wait to see the fruits of your labor! :thumbleft:
                        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                        - Unknown
                        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Working...
                        X