5th gear change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th gear change

In another post it was reported that - "There is a 5th gear swap you can do to get a better final drive". I believe it was listed in the suspension forum. Does anybody know if this true or is it "urban legend"?
    I'm very much interested if it is indeed true.

OOPS - since I posted this in the custom section, I am referring to a stock Festiva 5 speed.

Comment

you mean swapping in the aspire tranny for a lower final gear ratio?

Comment

He means swapping in the final drive gear from the Aspire into the Festiva 5 speed mtx..

I know a few who have done it. I have also been told you'ld go faster. I haven't seen it 1st hand.

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier/better just to swap in an aspire tranny?
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I thought 2 bolts dont line up if you swap the whole trans. The aspire 5th gear is geared for more power (higher rpms) to compensate for the added weight of an aspire over a festiva. I got that info here a few months ago.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

The aspire uses the same basic gearing, but the final drive is higher. This means you're at higher rpm throughout the whole range. It would help you accelerate a little quicker, but nothing to write home about.
              OX SMASH!!

Comment

I ran the ratio numbers one time and the Aspire transmission will make the engine run 500 rpms faster to make the same mph as the Festiva transmission.
                You gonna race that thing?
                http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Gee, I didn't log in all weekend. lots of discusion - The impression I got on the other post is that you could just change 5th gear (the set on the input and output shafts) to allow less rpm at the same speed. If I come across it again I'll tell you who wrote it. I actually want a "taller" fifth gear for less rpm's and more mpg's.

Comment

Yeah I was going to say that makes more sense then wanting a shorter final gear. I think they where talking about the Xr2 tranny, verses like the protege tranny though, in that other post.

Comment

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Doesn't appear that can do much with the stock Festiva trans.

Comment

Larger diameter tires = taller gearing
                        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Mind that there have been 1.1L engine (B1) Mazda 121DA which also had the proper transmission (final gear)!
                          1988 Mazda 121DA canvas top
                          -73hp B3 multiport EFI swap
                          -KYB SS w/ Eibach -35mm / FMS HD rubber suspension parts

Comment

Working...
                          X