port and polish limits of b6 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• port and polish limits of b6 head

hay guys, I'm building a nice b6 from a 89 mazda 323, and I would like to really take some time to do a good job, since I'll have all summer before the car goes back on the road, so I was thinking all the usual, rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets, and I would like to introduce an agressive port and polish on the head and then cut the gaskets to match, but I don't want to end up going into the water jacket right around the valve guides which is where most of the material will be removed so the air has a more direct path through the head ( I noticed that the b series head seems to have the worst stock porting ever made) Has anyone done this level of port carving that can maybe give me some limits?

I know eye of ra is doing quite a bit of porting and polishing on his head maybe he will chime in with the info you need.

Comment

It might be a good idea to stick to a gasket match, just to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyracing
        It might be a good idea to stick to a gasket match, just to be safe.
        ya, i'm not going to go too agressive on the outer mating surfaces, I'm more concerned with providing the most direct path to the cylinder. If you look at a stock head, the air has to kinda "bend" around the restrictive curves in the intake port, but if you remove some of the "humps" , the air has an almost direct path into the cylinder

Comment

Yeah i would just go with something mild 5 angle, oversized valves, new guides, gasket-matched. I concur about Joe though.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

cool, sounds good then, my luck i'll go into the water jacket but I have a spare b6 head thats actually on the car right now I can use in case. I'll post lots of pic of the work in progress, I'm also picking some of the motor up I think this weekend so I'll show some of thoses first pieces, its 5 hours away so we'll see 8)

Comment

Well if you run through 2 heads i have another 2 spare also......8 valvers
              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

LOL thanks man, hopefully that won't happen :lol:

Comment

Working...
                X