Torque timing chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque timing chip

Hey guys, i was considering buying an ECU chip that adjusts your torque timing and fuel curves for better gas mileage and a little bit of horsepower and torque added. I was wondering if anyone knows much about these things, and whether or not they are worth the money. If it doesn't do much, i dont care, just as long as it does something for mileage.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

^^no such animal. There is however a resistor on ebay that will trick the airflow meter to dump more gas into the engine.. Which will cost you in mpg. Ever wonder why an EFI car feels stronger in the cool weather? Air density. This resistor tricks the meter into believing the air is denser thus needs more fuel to compensate. Not worth the money however cheap it is.

Comment

It feels stronger because the air IS cooler. Dumping in more fuel may or may not give you an increase in power, as you're basically just running rich.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

Cooler air is denser air (holds more oxygen) and requires more fuel.

With that resistor, the air is not as cool (dense) as the VAF believes it is, thus you run rich.

Comment

Their website says that it does not adjust the fuel regulation, and only the torque timing, more acceleration at lower rpms, so u don't gotta feed it so much gas to get it going. it apparently does not exceed OEM specifications.

Comment

How does it install? Link?

Comment

its called the white lightenin module, and yes it does dump more fuel into your engine, but its supposed to do that. its to get more power at lower rpm's so u don't have to come onto the gas so hard. It gives better mileage on some cars, and worse on others. My mom's arrived in the mail today and it links into the air sensor controls n air intake. Tricks it into thinking the air's denser like somone said. I don't think it will do much for her toyota, its probably already timed as well as it gets. But my rig on the other hand is older and u really gotta come onto the gas to get er going especially on hills and when your starting off in first gear.

Comment

Im sorry that white lightning module is crap, it is the resistor with a fancy box on it.

I guess it is possible to design something to fool the distributor signal (which controls the timing) but it basically is doing the same thing as retarding or advancing the signal. Which you can do for free by just adjusting the the ditributors position.

Comment

if it gives the car a little more power so i don't gotta stomp on the accelerator to get the thing moving, i'll buy it. if it doesn't work for my moms rig, ill use her box. i can tell from their website it isnt car specific. they just say it is.
                  My b3 is a wimp right now, i think i might turn better mileage with more gas at lower rpms. it revs up too easily and stays up there before u get going good.

Comment

I can guarantee that any power adding you feel from this chip is going to be placebo. You'd be better off spending the money on something else.

Cut the snorkel off the filter box and widen the hole a little. That will give you a bit more throttle response, which will make the car feel snappier. Spend $5 on aluminum foil and wrap the intake hose. That will keep your intake temperature down a little. Swap the TB for a larger unit from a 323. That will improve throttle response. If you don't care about milage, a 323 ecu has a little more aggressive fuel maps, which might net you a couple more hp.
                    OX SMASH!!

Comment

I think you'd be wasteing your money. I'll bet you only notice a decrease in gas mileage!
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

well right now all im noticing is a lead foot that still doesn't get me anywhere its supposed to feed more gas at lower rpms, and then lower the fuel curve as u get the rpm's up higher, or as u get closer to highway speed. and until today i couldn't even keep the car running in neutral, its stickin in some gear i dont know which, but it stalls if u let the clutch out on neutral. i got it somewhat fixed, still doesn't seem right though for idling.

Comment

A chip won't fix that at all.
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

Ill sell you a tornado. The chip and the tornado combined will raise your fuel economy 23.8% and raise your hp 11.23%.....................
                            91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                            00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
                            88 gtx
                            74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Oh i think i heard about the tornado thingy, i thought it was only for big chev's n stuff though. How much though? i got my nose to the grindstone lately.

Comment

Working...
                              X